free website stats program 03 Heritage - Engine light stays on - engine won't start. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Heritage - Engine light stays on - engine won't start.

Yes - cleared codes come right back. Same codes even after making sure all connectors are tight, all fuses good and pushed in tight, starter relay replaced and both pushed in tight. Battery is charged and the bike cranks pretty good when trying to start it.

33 99 63 I am baffled.

OK. Did you ever figure out what that connector did that you found under the seat? When you unplugged that, the lights came back on. If you don't know what it is, try unplugging it then clearing the codes. Does that work. Do the codes stay cleared, or do they reset. If stay cleared, then something in that circuit is grounded or shorted. If the codes reset, it still might be that circuit since the short/ground may give the same indication as unplugging. Trace the wires looking for a break, mashed wire, or bare wire.

I personally hate electrical problems!!

TQ

Last edited:
I also replaced the System relay today. I hooked up my timing light and verified there is a spark in both wires. Still not starting and still the same codes. When turning on the ignition switch I can hear the System Relay and Starter Relay give a difinite "click".

You should get the electrical diagnostic manual and follow the flow chart for those DTC.
Then You will know for sure what it is.

OK. Did you ever figure out what that connector did that you found under the seat? When you unplugged that, the lights came back on. If you don't know what it is, try unplugging it then clearing the codes. Does that work. Do the codes stay cleared, or do they reset. If stay cleared, then something in that circuit is grounded or shorted. If the codes reset, it still might be that circuit since the short/ground may give the same indication as unplugging. Trace the wires looking for a break, mashed wire, or bare wire.

I personally hate electrical problems!!

TQ

Yes - the connector that I unplugged was the 2 wire connector that goes from the wire harness just under the tank, down along the front brake cable, through the front fender, and up to the front fender tip light. It was grounding somewhere along the path inside the fender.

Yes - the connector that I unplugged was the 2 wire connector that goes from the wire harness just under the tank, down along the front brake cable, through the front fender, and up to the front fender tip light. It was grounding somewhere along the path inside the fender.

OK, so that is fixed or unplugged, right?

Did you ever have the bike over on its side? If the tilt sensor has triggered, it takes a series of start-stop switches before it will fire.

What else are you seeing? Is there spark at the plugs. Pull them and ground the base to see if you get arcing. Both of them.

Do you smell gasoline as it turns over?

TQ

Well - I guess this is a lesson for me. I finally found the problem and I am now back in the saddle.

So back to the original problem: My headlight and passing lights would occasionally go off. There was either a pinched wire or short somewhere. I traced it to the wire that goes to the running light on the front fender tip. Since this isn't the easiest cable to replace I unplugged the connector to this wire that goes to the bulb just under the tank on the left side.

After getting everything back together, the engine wouldn't start and I was getting the following codes: 33 99 63. Ended up replacing the System Relay and Starter Relay ( at $7.50 each ) but the engine still wouldn't start.

So I took the tank back off again to recheck all the connectors - make sure they were snug in case I accidently loosened one somewhere. They all checked out ok. In the processes of putting everything back together again, as I was plugging in the Fuel Pump Module Connector on top of the gas tank, I looked inside the connector and noticed that one of the three pins was bent down instead of going into the connector when I plugged it in. After carefully straightening out the pin and plugging in the connector I finished putting everything else together.

After all that - the engine started right up. Whew!

In the process of going through everything I had done again this second time I actually located where the break in the wire was that goes to the front fender running light. It is on the left side where it passes through the hole in the fender before it runs along the inside of it. So for now, I put some electrical tape around it to keep it from shorting against the fender since I had plugged the connector back in (just in case that was the problem).

No Front Fender running light until I get that wire replaced - but everything else runs and works great.

Thanks all for the tips and pointers! You guys kept me on it instead of giving up and taking it into the shop. I appreciate it greatly. :)

Last edited:
Back