free website stats program 03 Heritage - Engine light stays on - engine won't start. | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Heritage - Engine light stays on - engine won't start.

SMDavis57

I have a 2003 Heritage Classic Softail with 83,800 miles on it. About a week ago I noticed that my headlight and passing lights were off when I got home. The tail light and turn signals ( front and back ) work fine. After turning the ignition off then on again, the lights still wouldn't come on. I checked the fuse ( ok ) and also cleaned and reset the connections on the ignition switch - still no light when the ignition switch is turned on even though the engine started up no problem.
The next morning, the lights came on as they should and the engine started up just fine, but after a short ride the lights went out again. I called the HD dealer and explained my problem - they said I already did what they would have done and the next step would be to check for pinched or grounded wires.

After taking off the seat and gas tank to get to the wiring harness, I found out that there seems to be a short somewhere in the wires that connect from the wire harness and run through the inside of the front fender to the running light there. When I unplugged the connector, the headlight came on when turning on the ignition switch.

I installed the gas tank and hooked everything back up - but when trying to start the bike it would just crank and nothing else. After trying this a few times, I noticed that about 8-10 seconds after turning on the ignition switch, the engine light would come on - blink once - then stay on.

What does this mean? What do I need to do to get my bike running again?

Attachments

• 2003 FLSTCI.jpg
    2003 FLSTCI.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I had a similar problem a while back.
There is a connector plug on the other side from your picture (right front) under the fuel tank where the wire harness from the front comes together.

Mine had a rubbed wire or 2 that grounded on the frame and caused the problem you have.

When you turn the handle bar the light sometimes came on and some times not.
Hope this helps.:s

When I follow the procedure for getting the code there is only the single flash then a steady engine light, as if there is just one digit ( a one ) being returned.

Process followed:
=======================================================

2. To activate the diagnostic feature,follow these steps.
a. Create diagnostic test wire or use a female spade clip which will bridge the two terminals perfectly.
b. Install diagnostic test wire/clip across Terminals 1 and 2 on the data link connector, they are marked.
c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.

3. All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.
a. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code.
b. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration.
======================================================

no second digit flashes. :(

Ok - Finally was able to get some "real" codes.

They are as follows: 33 99 63

Now what? Is this something I can take care of - or are we looking at a trip to the dealer?

11 Current 33 System relay contacts open
12 Current 33 System relay coil high/shorted
13 Current 33 System relay coil open/low
14 Current 33 System relay contacts closed

15 Current 99 Incorrect password
16 Current 99 Missing password

5 Current 63 ECM serial data low
6 Current 63 ECM serial data open/high
7 Current 63 TSSM serial data low
8 Current 63 TSSM serial data open/high

Good morning, If after you check all the plugs & don't find any loose connections, I would replace the system relay, It's not an expensive item. It should be located on the fuse block & should be identified on the cover. It's a plug in type device.... Good Luck !!

If you clear the codes, do they come right back? If so, you still have a current fault. If that is the case, did you inspect all the wires in that cable bundle you described in the first post to make sure there are not bare wire causing continuing shorts.

TQ

Yes - cleared codes come right back. Same codes even after making sure all connectors are tight, all fuses good and pushed in tight, starter relay replaced and both pushed in tight. Battery is charged and the bike cranks pretty good when trying to start it.

33 99 63 I am baffled.

Back