free website stats program Yosemite Gas Situation | Harley Davidson Forums

Yosemite Gas Situation

ProF

Morning (?) all...

Wife and I heading North from LA to Yosemite this Fall, and have been reading about no gas in the park. My '06 Softail gets about 30-32 mpg, and they're saying it's around 35-40 miles from the nearest gas station to Camp Curry, where we're staying. That doesn't leave a whole lot of gas to drive around, if you figure close to 3 gallons round trip to gas up. (5 gallon tank)

Here's the question...

Has anyone "done" the park via the shuttle buses? There are several tours listed, but I have no idea if they are worth it. If so, we'd leave the bike for the day and just travel around on the buses. In Zion, the shuttle was the only way to get around, and it was great.

Would love to hear of any personal experiences.
Thanks.

Oakhurst will be the last fuel before the park. With the speed limit in the park you should be able to do both ends of the park, Sequoias and the valley and back to Oakhurst with plenty of fuel to spare.

Morning (?) all...

Wife and I heading North from LA to Yosemite this Fall, and have been reading about no gas in the park. My '06 Softail gets about 30-32 mpg, and they're saying it's around 35-40 miles from the nearest gas station to Camp Curry, where we're staying. That doesn't leave a whole lot of gas to drive around, if you figure close to 3 gallons round trip to gas up. (5 gallon tank)

Here's the question...

Has anyone "done" the park via the shuttle buses? There are several tours listed, but I have no idea if they are worth it. If so, we'd leave the bike for the day and just travel around on the buses. In Zion, the shuttle was the only way to get around, and it was great.

Would love to hear of any personal experiences.
Thanks.

Prof. about 4 years ago the shuttles were great. You can relax and see all the interesting stuff and they go to all the places most people want to see. I do have a question about your MPG, why is it so low?

Low milage....

I have to tweek the TFI. I think I set it too rich. I was trying to get rid of the decel popping, which I still have some of, so maybe the problem is exhaust leak.

Terminal laziness has so far prevented me from checking on either problem up to now, but I suppose I'll have to play around with it.

You might want to look into the Redi gas cans Chopper sells, carry an extra gallon in the saddle bags for insurance.

Low milage....

I have to tweek the TFI. I think I set it too rich. I was trying to get rid of the decel popping, which I still have some of, so maybe the problem is exhaust leak.

Terminal laziness has so far prevented me from checking on either problem up to now, but I suppose I'll have to play around with it.
LOL, that terminal laziness is a tough one to beat. :) Mine started with a broken leg/ankle & then I caught the Lazy-Boy disease and went down hill from there. :p

Gas Stations in Yosemite
Gas stations in the Yosemite area are located in Wawona, Crane Flat, Tuolumne Meadows (seasonally) and El Portal. These are all a substantial drive (30 – 60 minutes) from Yosemite Valley, so plan accordingly. While the El Portal station is the closest (and also downhill for those who are really short on gas), it has also traditionally been the most expensive.

Crane Flat Gas Station is located in the park, but 17 miles outside of Yosemite Valley on Hwy 120. Gas is available 24 hours a day with a credit/debit card.

Wawona Gas Station is located inside the park in the town of Wawona on Hwy 41 toward the South Entrance. Gas is available 24 hours a day with a credit/debit card.

Tuolumne Gas Station is closed for the winter season. It is located on Hwy 120 in Tuolumne next to the Tuolumne Store. Call (209) 372-0200 for current road conditions.

When I went the park ranger said "if you go by a gas station in the park fill up weather you need it or not".
it is a great place lots of things to see and do.
Dave

Crane flat is a nice ride and is at the turnoff to Tioga Pass. You should do part of that pass and get gas on the way back to the valley.

Since you will be so close to Ebbits Pass, Sonora Pass and Monitor Pass you should give them a try. There's great riding all over the foothills (hiway 49).....gold country area's.

Back