Yeah - Passing Lamps Installed

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Iceman24, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

After a few weeks of "chipping away" at installing the HD 69818-06 Passing Lamp Kit on my 09 FLHX - finally buttoned-up the fairing today so she's almost ready for this week's upcoming 70-degree weather. Still have to put some spark plug heat shields on the coil-end due to new TD exhaust temp, but nice having the big project complete. Had the parts since XMAS & needed semi-warm weather to make the garage tolerable. Probably a total of 4-5 hours work, but I'm a detail-oriented person so spread the job over a few days. Hardest part was slipping the batwing over new passing lamps - who knew.

Also had added delay(s) waiting for oil temp gauge to arrive...decided to add while fairing was torn off. Now onto some riding later this week - I hope!

Attached Files:

2. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

That looks like it was a big job Ice. Sure looks good though. My friend who has a Street Glide wants to do this. Is that HD part number for the kit for a SG or a different bike?

3. Streetglider08

Streetglider08 Member

Looks good! I also got the same kit for Xmas and did the install myself on my 08 flhx. It was a good experience. I thought the hard part would be taking the ignition off to put the switch in but it was actually really easy. I was afraid because I didn't have the proper alignment tool, but a big flathead did the trick. The lights really makes you alot more noticeable to other motorists.

Attached Files:

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

geezer; yep, it's the FLHX kit and the only other thing required are passing lamp bulbs. If they do decide to install - read & re-read instructions thoroughly. I found a few steps are already complete (i.e. passing bulb wiring) and the only connectors needed for crimping are your wires running out the passing lamp & into the turn signal harness. Ended up buying two different duetsch crimpers, but only needed a molnar one. Oh well, not going to complain about adding tools to my inventory - will use again someday.

I'm really pleased & definitely like added safety w/increased illumination (per Tank).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Looks very nice. The added light is a bonus.

6. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

Thanks for the reply Ice. I will tell him about it but I will probably end up being the one to install the kit.

7. FerrousBueller

FerrousBueller Junior Member

Other than riding, nothing more satisfying than a well done, "Do-It-Yourself" project. Right?

From now on, I think winter time is going to be a lot more expensive for me.

8. Grillfish

Grillfish Junior Member

Those lights look nice! Great work!

9. israguard

israguard Active Member

Congrats.. Youre a better man than I am for doing it yourself.

I saw the new HD LED kit today. In Canada from HD its $459 for all 3 lights. The main/center light in LED looks very snazzy. But the side lights.. look... well bizarre.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents worth.

I will stick with same passing lights that you have.

10. MJMagruder

MJMagruder New Member

Loooookin' goooood!

By the way... what rack it that you are using? I'm looking for one, but like to know how one in particalur holds up (no pun intended!)