free website stats program XLH 1200..small electrical/charging problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

XLH 1200..small electrical/charging problem.

TheWolfman

hi..i have a 1200 sporty and im currently experiencing some electric/charging issues. it wont start without charging the battery for a few hours first or bump/jump starting it..when it doesnt start,all i get is clicking from my starter motor..i can hear it spinning,but i guess it isnt getting enough charge to push forward to turn over the eninge. once i get her running,shes fine (i even got her up to 100mph the other day so i know the performance isnt effected) and most of the time when i go to start her up,she aint having none of it. plus ive recently fitted a brand new Motobatt high torque battery with tight connections at the terminals,so i know its not that.

i understand that its likely to be my regulator rectifier that could be the problem,as ive read online that if the diode goes in the reg rec,it can cause battery drain,which is what im getting. i also understand i could be loosing charge via a poor earth connection..can anyone give me any advice as to where my earthing connection could be?

any help would be greatly appreciated,as ive been a harley owner since december,so im still pretty new to where everything is.

ill try and take pics of around my regulator rectifier and post them up so you can see if my earth connection is in the shot.

cheers,
Wolfman

The voltage regulator is earthed through the bolts that mount it to the frame make sure that the the bolt points are clean and free from corrosion on both the regulator and the frame

Brian

as simple as that? cheers..to be honest it is abit mucky around there..ill try and get some fine sandpaper & wd40 and give it a good cleaning tomorrow (if we have a dry day)..also ive got some damp start plastic film spray,so when im done,ill give the reg rec and the bolts a good coating to protect it.

cheers,

Wolfman

Perhaps the end is here for the voltage regulator i have had to replace a few on older bikes over the last few years

Brian

cheers mate..yes,£58 seems to be the going rate for reg recs in uk,but ive found them for around £34 from J&P cycles over in the states..but it could take a week or two,maybe three for it to be delivered. dilema or what! haha

Wolfman

When buying from the usa sometimes the tax man catches you and applies vat to the package including the postage then the courier that is collecting the vat charges a collection fee of £10 to £15 and delays the part arrival
However you may not be in a hurry for the part as here anyway it is time to lay the bikes up for the winter as the snow gates are closed in the southern part of the county and the ploughs and gritters are out throwing their mess around trying to keep the roads open

Brian

right..i had a look at my regulator and its all corroded and crudded up,so ive decided to get one...ive unbolted it from the frame and unplugged the 2 pronged plug just underneath it and there was abit of junk on that...so now ive got to find out where the other wire goes (somewhere under my seat) so the i can totally disconect the rer rec ready for getting my new one..im abit skint at the mo,so ill have to wait a few weeks (somehow lol) to afford a new one.

Wolfman

Last edited by a moderator:
Back