free website stats program xl1200c clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

xl1200c clutch

I have a 2004 XL1200C I am having a clutch problem. When I pull in the clutch the bike still moves forward and is very hard to downshift. I have adjusted the clutch and cable to no avail. Bike has 30,000 mile I have not had it long and know very little of the history. Could this be the cable?

I have a 2004 XL1200C I am having a clutch problem. When I pull in the clutch the bike still moves forward and is very hard to downshift. I have adjusted the clutch and cable to no avail. Bike has 30,000 mile I have not had it long and know very little of the history. Could this be the cable?

This could be a stretched cable or the clutch plates could be worn enough from bad adjustments that they are not separating enough Are you doing your adjustment with the bike cold?

Yes I have done all of my adjustments with the bike cold. I can adjust and it will shift ok but ride just a few minutes and it is right back.

If the clutch & cable are adjusted to spec,& trans oil is all good you might have the 'spring plate' breaking up. it is in the clutch plate pack,& you can either replace it or remove & add extra clutch plates to get the right thickness of the clutch plate pack,this is a common problem & worth looking into if all else does not rectify the problem.

Back