free website stats program XL Cam Install | Harley Davidson Forums

XL Cam Install

I have a 1994 Sporter. Read the book on it and did what it said to line up the cam gears. Tried to start it but it ran for a few seconds. Back fired ran for a few seconds makeing noise then cut off. Then it blew my electric to the back of the bike and starter plus dash. Only the front lights work. What is the proper way to line the cams up? Be on top dead center to start. Book doesnt say. As for the electric all under the seat I found the circut breaker. Could it cut power off to the bike as I dont know.

I have a 1994 Sporter. Read the book on it and did what it said to line up the cam gears. Tried to start it but it ran for a few seconds. Back fired ran for a few seconds makeing noise then cut off. Then it blew my electric to the back of the bike and starter plus dash. Only the front lights work. What is the proper way to line the cams up? Be on top dead center to start. Book doesnt say. As for the electric all under the seat I found the circut breaker. Could it cut power off to the bike as I dont know.

The cam timing is set by installing the pinion gear first which has a woodruff key to locate it in the correct position on the shaft then when the cams are fitted if all the marks line up correctly then the cam timing is correct

Brian

Back