free website stats program Wrong Starter | Harley Davidson Forums

Wrong Starter

cowjammer

If I put a mild cam in my 80incher does it require a new starter with more torque ? I bought a bike and while reading through the STACK of his paper work I found that he had the cam installed. But there was no mention of another starter and the Bike starts hard,Hard turning over but once warm its just a touch of the switch.........Thx for all youre input.

gotta couple of ?'s --- How old is the battery? Do you know what kind of cam and has there been any other engine mods??

If I put a mild cam in my 80incher does it require a new starter with more torque ? I bought a bike and while reading through the STACK of his paper work I found that he had the cam installed. But there was no mention of another starter and the Bike starts hard,Hard turning over but once warm its just a touch of the switch.........Thx for all youre input.

It all depends on the cam timing and specs and the cold cranking pressure. Head work and other modifications will raise the CCP also and make starting difficult.

I think the key here is we do not have enough information...if the upgrade was "mild" as you state, likely the starter will be "taxed" but not necessary much worse IF the net compression has not been bumped up much with the jugs/pistons/cam timing.

I do know after working on my 2004 XL1200RS that there have been 3 revisions of the starter clutch assembly, currently at 31556-91C so MOCO must have been having problems with earlier versions...

Back