free website stats program Wrong fluid in the tranny? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wrong fluid in the tranny?

tunacan

Long story short...I just changed my 2000 Road King transmission fluid using Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90. After about 500 miles or so, I put the Road King on the lift, started her up and engaged 1st gear. There is clearly some noise coming from the tranny case (right side of engine). I would call it some mild clatter, but certainly concerning. It doesn't appear to causing any performance issues.

The label of the Max Gear says "Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid."

After some careful reading, I am seeing that the forum generally recommends a GL-1 fluid in the TC88 5-speed transmission>>Spectro 75W140.

The transmission is all stock with 17,500 miles. The Road King has SE (K&N)Stage 1 A/C, Wild Pigs exhaust and EFI (Dobeck), and I have had Andrews 26N cams and hydraulic tensioner setup installed. I am loving the setup, it's running great, just concerned about the racket in the transmission. (I didn't hear it from the seat due to the mufflers)

My question is "Have I put the wrong fluid in my tranny?"

A fluid change would be an inexpensive solution. Could this be a solution to the clatter?

All feedback is appreciated.

You probably answered your own question at the end. A fluid change would be an inexpensive way to see if the noise changes or goes away. Then you can proceed from there with any further decisions or investigation.

Running the bike on a lift will result in more noises than you would think normal which will be heard with all bikes when on a lift.Whether it is "normal" for your bike only you can tell because you are there.
The ratings of GL called for with your bike is GL1 and using a higher GL such as GL5 will do it no harm but if it eases your mind you can change it.

Take it off the lift and see if you hear anything abnormal when riding it.

I always STICK with the WINNERS and don't experiment on LUBES..

Why NOT use the ones MOST have No Problems when using in their HD's???..

Is it being different you need, by all means try what you may..

I suggest the lubes I have USED for many trouble-free years of Owning/Building/Riding MY HD bikes..

It Gets hard to try to answer Softly and Smoothly as the many who Want To be different or Use different lubes... Same O same O,,, thing....

Your Royal Purple MIGHT be the best?? I would NOT use it in my ride..

I don't think, LUBE choice to be your Noise problem.. I DO Know IF you used Redline Shockproof Heavy ANY noise in the tranny WOULD be LESS (cushioned)...

I think your noise/clatter is while the bike running in gear on the lift and in gears running with NO LOAD against the gears is WHY you Hear a rattle/clatter.....

If you try putting the rear brake on JUST a bit to mimic the normal ride out on the road,,,, Probably the clatter would NOT be there..??

Just my HONEST thoughts.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

I appreciate the quick feedback. I never thought abnout the difference about being on the lift.

What about the variation in weight 75W90 vs. 75W145? Is there an advantage one over the other?

I appreciate the quick feedback. I never thought abnout the difference about being on the lift.

What about the variation in weight 75W90 vs. 75W145? Is there an advantage one over the other?

He I go...

The shockproof i speak of is 75W250... WHY you ask= HEAT.. never a problem in my bike,,,the least I would use in the Tranny is 75W140.

signed....BUBBIE

75W90 vs. 75W145 is basically a choice in the climate (temps ) you are running in. The heavier one being better for hotter climates.

Here's an article about the Redline Heavy I found with a quick Google search. This is from an automotive website, don't know if the same problem could develope in our bikes. And, when I went to the dealer for oil, (all three holes) I was sold & told to use the HD full syn 20-50, a motor oil.

"REDLINE SHOCKPROOF There are concerns about using REDLINE SHOCKPROOF type gear oils inside manual transmissions. While this is truly an excellent product, it has been found that the heavy Teflon-like particles are quickly centrifuged out of the oil and will build up inside the center diff housing and around the synchronizers and inside of the gearshafts. After several oil changes this build up may block oiling passages inside the gearshafts that lubricate the needle bearings and can reduce the overall effectiveness of the synchronizers, leading to poor shift quality. Also this oil is has too high of a viscosity for winter use. Therefore we do not suggest using SHOCKPROOF in the transmission unless the transmission is to be serviced often or a dog box."

When the 5 speed made its debut many were skeptical, noise certainly was an issue, while a quality lube( GEAR OIL) would tame them some by no means did it quiet them all down. It is still a very good transmission, use the best lube you can find:s

A lot of talk about GL4, GL5....

The GL 4, a rating for use in trannys and the added stuff to make GL5 is so it qualifies to be used in axels and special rear-ends.. Just so the same Gear Lube can be used...

So the trannys will be fine using a GL4..

So says Bubbie as I read that in all My defensive papers on Redline..

The Thing I want to POINT Out (regardless of Oils I Use) is IF a sulfur based tranny lube GL5 is used , MIGHT this be why a few of you guys are seeing YELLOW Metal at drain time????

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

GEAR OIL GL4 or GL5 - Toyota Tundra

GL-5 gear oils are for gears like our differentials where the pinion is below the centerline of the ring gear. You can look at the outside of the differential housing on the front side and see that. There is much sliding on the gear teeth, and the oil has to be blended for that. These are called hypoid gears. A gearbox without hypoid gears, like a transmission, does not need this particular additive package in the oil. GL-4 gear oil works well. Some GL-5 oils used a sulfur based additive to make them GL-5, and the sulfur would damage yellow metals...brass, bronze, & copper...in the transmission. Many modern GL-5 gear oils do not have the sulfur in them and are labeled for both GL-4 and GL-5 applications.

Here is another Good Thread here on HDT that covered the Yellow Metal problems using GL 4 GL 5 with sulphur and other wear additives in it..

It has our Members discussing the pro's and con's... Take a look... YOU might even be in this thread on HDT.

Is GL-5 bad for our transmission - Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back