free website stats program Would like to upgrade but don't know which to choose | Harley Davidson Forums

Would like to upgrade but don't know which to choose

GimmeFuel

Right now, I'm burning to upgrade from my '04 fatboy to one of two selections. 1) a 2012 fatboy with rush pipes or 2) a 2006 screamin' eagle fatboy at the same dealership.

The fatboy will be the only bike I'll get and that's definitive, but I'm not sure which would be the better choice between the two I've mentioned. For practicality, I'm thinking the 2012 because that six speed is better equipped to handle longer rides and it has the same engine with the exception of the screamin' eagle cams. Also, it's about two grand cheaper. On the other hand, that screamin' eagle is just awesome and might hold its' value better... as if I would sell it.

Any thoughts?

Speaking from experience with a SE bike, the value is only there over the standard bike if it's the dealer selling it otherwise you are hard pressed to get much more than a standard bike at resale time. I had $33K into the SE bike I had and couldn't even get $20K for it 2 years later. Finally sold it a year later with low miles for $14K and the bike was flawless.

I would go with the 2012 FB and do it up the way you want it.

The one thing that the 06 has going for it is the 5 speed trans over the 6 speed (stronger unit with less problems.)

Glider has given you some very wise advice. Myself the 2012 would win hands down. So the $$$$ saved you could really build up the 2012 to be more than the SE..:s

Speaking from experience with a SE bike, the value is only there over the standard bike if it's the dealer selling it otherwise you are hard pressed to get much more than a standard bike at resale time. I had $33K into the SE bike I had and couldn't even get $20K for it 2 years later. Finally sold it a year later with low miles for $14K and the bike was flawless.

I would go with the 2012 FB and do it up the way you want it.

The one thing that the 06 has going for it is the 5 speed trans over the 6 speed (stronger unit with less problems.)

Let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that the 5 speed is a better design than the six speed?

I'm going to start a new thread on this.

Let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that the 5 speed is a better design than the six speed?

Many parts on a "New Bike" change out, take "Time" before being perfected...

This is why Many improve their "old model" TRUSTED bikes and for-go NEW.

I had NO problem going for the "New Bike". I'm using Proper tranny lube (gear oil) so I don't expect problems.:D

I am comfortable with my choice of the 09 FLHR 6 speed...

signed....BUBBIE

Back