free website stats program woods cams | Harley Davidson Forums

woods cams

2006FXDCI

I have been talking with an engine builder and he reccomends using woods cams for my build, has anyone out there used them and what grind did you use. I have been looking at their website and am kinda stuck between two grinds.

I have been talking with an engine builder and he reccomends using woods cams for my build, has anyone out there used them and what grind did you use. I have been looking at their website and am kinda stuck between two grinds.

need to know more about the build and the two grinds you are looking at. I have not run any Woods cams but have installed them in other builds. From the little I know and hear, the 5-6 is not too noisy but all the others are noisy and rough on the valve train; very aggressive ramps and fairly high spring pressure. However, they will make lots of power if you can live with the side effects.

I've used Wood cams on two occasions. The first was a set of 400G's in a 106" FXDL. The Bike was a Torque Monster, but the valve train was very noisy. I was able to quiet it down some by using an over-sized pinion gear to take up the lash, but it was never even close to quiet. The second time was just recently with a set of TW6-6R "Conversion" cams in a 95" 2004 FLHRI. Those cams were incredibly noisy! I was running stock springs and went so far as to tighten up the rocker clearances. The only thing that made them any quieter was to adjust the push rods down 4 turns as suggested by Bob. They were still so noisy that I wound up replacing them with a set of Andrews cams and now the bike is quiet. They did make good power, but I couldn't stand the noise. The engine sounded like I had marbles rattling around inside the rocker box's. In fairness though, some people have said they were able to make em run quiet but I never could.

Eagle

If you're lookin' for Max HP/TQ/FUN Wood cams are the ticket.

Looooove my 9b's in my 2006 FXDBI @ 11.4/1.(headwork required) These Wood cams are designed for performance first. As with any cam, they should be mated w/headwork, pipes, and fuel delivery system.

Bob Wood gladly takes calls and explains options, also [removed] (Wood's largest account) can explain the particulars in detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back