free website stats program Wish I would not have seen this | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wish I would not have seen this

Not much to add or say to make things easier or better. Times like these, all you can do is learn, what could have been done to have prevented this accident.

MC -- Motorcycle maintenance is one, if reliability is an issue do not ride until fixed. If he dropped the clutch or ran out of fuel that is something else. Then there are tactics, if the engine dies do not panic and make rash decision, you are still invisible to oncoming traffic...so have to go thru the IPDE process...IDENTIFY, PREDICT, DECIDE and EXECUTE.

CAGER - If oncoming traffic is stopped and back up, do not turn into blind turn, could easily be a pedestrian crossing...always use TWO identifiers before making a decision, not just ONE...he saw it was CLEAR, but did not think that traffic stopped could be for a 2ND reason. How many times do we see traffic in our lane stopped and decide to pass on the left, when it could easily be a pedestrian unseen...

Take care Walleye and yes take a breather if you have too, motorcycling is a sport that IS fraught with hazards...and is this acceptance of risk that we take on everytime we turn the key...

Man, I feel for you having to witness that happen. I have been hit twice, the second time I saw it coming in the mirror from the rear. Was just able to to give it enough gas and make some room but still got tagged from the rear.

I will be in prayer for the rider, driver and yourself. Let us know if the guy survives if you ever find out.

I am not ready to stop riding, but I will definetely have this incident in my mind while riding. In this case, the MC made a terrible mistake. My concern is seeing first hand in person how devastating an accident is to a MC rider. I always knew, but seeing it happen is much more tramatic than a video can imitate. Although I have always been extremely cautious, this will make me much more aware of my surroundings. No matter who is at fault, the devastation is the same. I will never forget this and hopefully it will make me a better rider. I am not trying to start a helmet thread, and I have not worn one at least up to this point, but without his he would never been alive when he hit the pavement. It may not have been enough anyway. I am going to go online to see if there is a report on this. Main reason for posting is to hopefully make us all ride safer. Please do.

just being in a pretty serious accident a few weeks ago this story really touched me. last week a friend got me out of the house and on our way home we passed a bike that wrecked and it almost shook me up worse than my own accident. this week i had a really painful surgery that has rattled me some more. the thing that i keep going back to in my wreck is what if we got a sitter and my wife was with me. i wish the driver in my accident felt remorse and hadn't fled the scene. i know that first trip outwill probably be nerve wracking

Wow! It only takes a split second of indecision or lack of attention to get into trouble. I wish the best for you, the driver, the rider and anyone else that had to see such a thing.

Dave

My thoughts are with you Walleye, as well as with the rider and the driver. Im sure none of you thought your day would end up this way.
I drive about 40k a year just for work, and have seen more than I wish I had ever seen. This will be with you forever, no matter what the outcome. It makes you think more and more about your surroundings, no matter what the situation. IE car, truck, bike, or anything else.
It helps to talk about it, glad you were able to share with us. The cage driver may never thank you in person, but you did a real stand up thing and I'm sure he appreciates it.

Sorry to hear about the accident, and I hope I turns out better than it sounds.

I sold my previous bike after a car pulled out in front of friend of mine, and I couldn't get it out of my head. The worst part was that three of us had ridden all day long, and were parking the bikes in my garage, while he tried to convince us to ride some more. He left on his own and had the accident less than a mile away.

A little over a year ago I was three or four cars back from a head-on MC / F-450 collision on a two lane near a construction area. The truck was a commercial construction vehicle and may have crossed the centerline pulling onto the road. I missed the cause, but saw the impact. I am not sure if the rider survived. He was conscious when I left, (wearing a full face helmet as well) but I couldn't find any reports. It freaked me out enough to keep me from buying a bike, as I was in the market back then. In fact, somehow I almost forgot about it until I started riding again just recently.

Very kind of you to sit with the motorist. I can't imagine what he's going through.

I took a short ride to a bike meetup tonight, without a helmet on, which I NEVER do. Hearing this reminds me that I know better. I convinced myself that I was only going 4 miles from the house, and I wouldn't have to carry the helmet when I got there. My wife was even shocked when I told her. She asked me if my will was up to date.

I was thinking while reading your story, that the helmet my not save your life, but it might keep you alive long enough to say goodbye.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Be safe.

Walleye,
Sorry to hear this happened and you witnessed it all. I hope the outcome for all involved is favorable. I think your consoling the driver was a great move, I'm sure he felt terrible to know he may have killed or seriously injured somone even though it was not his fault.
Last year I came upon an accident that had just happened, a bikes and a truck, the bike was splattered on the road and the EMT's were putting somone in the ambulance. I didn't stop because of the congestion in the intersection, but the next day I noticed an outline on the pavement, I believe this indicated a fatality.
I had some long thoughts about riding after this, but realized it's all about the ride and that's why we do it. I just try to be extra careful and keep my eyes open.
I hope this incident does not scar you too deeply. Peace bro!

Back