free website stats program Windshield options and opinions | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield options and opinions

CoreyV

I've ridden without a windshield on my Sportsters for years. Last summer I decided I'm getting old and the wind at highway speeds is kickin my butt on long rides. I bought the HD windshield and cut it down to the right height for me. I have to say I hate riding with it. Now the wind comes up underneath me and it does very little to keep the wind off me or a least slow it down a bit. I've seen small handle bar mounted windshields for sportsters that seem to lay down a bit more. Do they work better than the HD ones? Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks

How far did you cut it down? There are many threads and posts as to proper windshield height, but a lot of it is personal preference. The reason I ask is that I put the HD quick detach windshield on my '07 Sportster and I loved it. Made riding above 50MPH a pleasure.

Windshield height is a personal thing. My windshield is a tall one, I am looking through the top 2 inches of it when riding.
I can see just fine, contrary to popular opinion, and combined with my leg fairings I get very little buffeting.
I have had 3 eye surgeries and they are sensitive and water a lot and I do just fine with a pair of sunglasses on.
I do think the leg fairings add a lot to this. They keep the wind from coming up from below.
I could be wrong but............naaahhhh; who am I kidding.:D

This is a reason why many riders end up on a bagger.:D

I put the fork defector on mine and it helps some with the air under the fairing. I don't know if their availble for the Sportster.

I know the HD windshields can be pretty expensive, but they have a good variety of styles and heights. My wife and I both had 08 sporty's (R & L) and we each had a different type of windshield that fit us both perfectly. She is a lot shorter than me so she got the 14" one and I got the super sport that was several inches taller. She hated mine when she rode my bike and I hated hers when I rode on her bike. $400 or so for a new windshield is a pretty big investment, so I would suggest that you look around and if possible sit on a couple of sporty's with the different windshields to see which one best "fits" you. A good windshield on your sporty makes even a 30 miles or so trip a lot more enjoyable! Good luck.

I had a QD windshield on my sportster and as the Dr. mentioned, it made cruising at 50 and above quite nice.

This is a reason why many riders end up on a bagger.:D

I put the fork defector on mine and it helps some with the air under the fairing. I don't know if their availble for the Sportster.
What kind of deflectors? I have been looking for the ones that mount on the forks. Want to see if they deflect most of the wind.

Back