free website stats program windshield hardware on forks | Harley Davidson Forums

windshield hardware on forks

chunky59

I have just bought a 1999 fatboy with the smooth front forks and i need the hardware so i can mount the detachable windshield. the bolts that are on it now are flush to the forks, i need the kind that stick out and have the rubber grometts on them. all it has is the head light and does not have the light bar, so this is the bracket i need. thanks....................chunky

I have just bought a 1999 fatboy with the smooth front forks and i need the hardware so i can mount the detachable windshield. the bolts that are on it now are flush to the forks, i need the kind that stick out and have the rubber grometts on them. all it has is the head light and does not have the light bar, so this is the bracket i need. thanks....................chunky

I think we need a little more information. What brand windshield did you get, did the brackets/mounting go with it and you just need the bolt/grommet hardware? Please advise, I am sure there are many who will help once we get more info...:swoon

this windshield was on my Heritage I lost in Hurricane Katrina, but I was able to save the windshield, but the windshield was already on the Heritage when I bought it, so I dont know what kind of windshield it was, but to answer the other part of your question, yes I need the bolt and grommett hardware. thanks.................chunky

this windshield was on my Heritage I lost in Hurricane Katrina, but I was able to save the windshield, but the windshield was already on the Heritage when I bought it, so I dont know what kind of windshield it was, but to answer the other part of your question, yes I need the bolt and grommet hardware. thanks.................chunky

If it had grommets and bolts, 1st option is try to find OEM vendor, start off with National Cycle's windshields (they used thru-bolts thru the shield) or others on the web or at the motorcycle shops in the area, to see if any look like yours. :58:

The 2nd option is to rough fit (but do not tighten plain nuts and bolts with washers sizing them for fit & function and determining parts count only. Then go to your friendly neighborhood hardware local hometown type (may not have specialty fasteners at Home Depot or Lowe's) and see if they carry Chrome or Stainless Allen Head hardware and match'em up. If missing bolts on windshield...continue. :57:

Use the washers to help you size the nylon/hard rubber inserts and you should be good to go. Keep in mind that if you have holes in your windshield, there should be nylon shoulder washers on each side of the hole and do NOT overtighten them...good luck :23:

Some Ace Hardware stores have chrome fasteners...
or you could go with option 3
buy a windshield the fits your Fatboy and sell the one off the Heritage or option 4 buy a nacelle for a Heritage w/hardware:small3d031:

Yep! Options 3 & 4 are valid...like most problem solving, there are always alternatives, but some of them can be painful :wall

Back