free website stats program Wind Turbulence with Windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Turbulence with Windshield

BigTup

Account Removed
I've just joined because I'm hoping to find answers about windshields and fairings. I have a Super Glide Custom. I am 6'1" and my bike has a Tallboy Seat. I bought a Harley windshield and the wind turbulence rattled my head around so much that I couldn't see straight. I was thankful that the dealer returned it. But being in the wind at 70 or 80 is getting old, hell, I'm getting old. I found a Corbin Fairing and a Rifle Windshield. The fairing is $1400. and looks like a Street Glide batwing fairing. The windshield is adjustable up and down and you can change the angle, seems like good ideas. Anyone have experience with either of these?

Im 6'4" and have a HD windshield (the 2" taller one). I dont have any of the problems you describe. I also dont have problems with the top of the windshield interfering with my vision. Typically I look over the top of it (unless its raining, then I hide behind it). Forward controls help me slink down into my seat when the wind is cold. I couldnt do that as much when I had mid controls.

However I do seem to remember another member posting about windshield alternative to the HD ones. They looked pretty nice and were considerably less expensive. If you search around you should be able to find it (it was posted within the last 6 weeks in this Dyna forum). If I remembered I would just post the link. I do remember that the brand name started wit an "M".

memphis shades - do great screens is this the one toanjo?

Hobbit - yeah you got it. Someone posted them a few weeks ago. I checked out their web site and they look quite nice. They have a different mount than the Harley ones. Im not sure I could say I like them better or worse without seeing the mounts in person though. The price was certainly right.

I have the Memphis Shades on my '06 Street Bob. It goes on and off quick and provides adequate protection from the wind, rain and bugs. It does seem to scratch very easily with simple washing. Don't use the gas station windshield foam squeegee's! People drag them through dirty windshields and then you drag that dirt across your plastic screen. CRAP! Why did I do that!

ALSO... I experience very bad turbulance at speeds over 70 mph. I'm 6'2" and look just over the top of the windscreen. I don't think the turbulance is wind coming over the screen. I have forward foot controls. I believe it's the wind running up my long shins and into my face that's causing all that buffeting. I have ridden with my half shell and the windshield on the highway. The wind coming up my shins is shooting straight up my nostrils. I now have to wear my full face helmet when using the windshield on the highway. I've tried moving my feet forward by resting my heels on the pegs and tried moving them to a mid position (which I hate). Both changes in foot position solve the turbulance and "turbo nostril" problem.

Time for 3" extended forward controls or highway pegs.

i also had same problem but i noticed if i move the wind shield as far as it goes up the whoop whoop goes away also im looking for fork deflectors seems if i put my hand near front of fork the wind is almost not there

...The other option you mentioned sounds like a bit of over reaction to something that can be cured with the right height shield.

I don't think there has been any over reaction.
Different causes can create wind turbulance.

Try moving leg position. If this cures the turbulance it was air off your shins.
Try ducking low or moving the windshield up. if this cures the turbulance it was windshield height.
Find the solution that is right for your specific problem.

Last edited:
Here is what I came up with after calling some of the manufacturers. Corbin fairing was expensive and looked a little heavy visually on Dyna's. I called Corbin and told them I would buy if I could ride a bike with their fairing on it. I am not far from their factory. They said no and I'm not willing to take a chance. I also took a demo ride on a Street Glide and I still got some wind (but I think my next bike will be a Street Glide, I liked it). I called Wind Vest, I'm not far from them either. They would return the windshield, but more than that they offered to help get set up. I bought a windshield and I still had problems. They exchanged the windshield for a larger one and drilled another set of holes so the panel could be raised another inch (its adjustable up and down and you can vary the angle). Works great and the product quality is impeccable. I really appreciate the effort Wind Vest put toward helping getting the thing right. I just found a Corbin seat on Craig's List which I am going to buy. The seat is lower than mine which should help even more.

Back