free website stats program will a 2009 air breather on the 883 fit a 2000 model?? | Harley Davidson Forums

will a 2009 air breather on the 883 fit a 2000 model??

ron1978

i was looking in harley shop today and saw a newer style airbreather that look more funtional, it looked the same as a stock 883 air cover, but the backing plate had a 3x3 looking air dam built into it at the bottom faceing the open air in front of bike, alot better design than older models. just wonder if any know??

I would get rid of the stock intake and go with a heavy breather or screaming eagle intake. Its really the only way to free up the intake. You shouldn't have to re-jet the carb unless you change the exhaust too (of course that is the way to go you know, free up exhaust and intake). I have never experimented with the carb bike, just the fuel injected ones.
I added V&H straighshots, heavy breather intake and Fuelpak. Tweaked the settings a bit and purrs like a kitten. You would expect around 10hp gain with a stage 1 mod.

what about the arlen ness big sucker?? is that classified a heavy breather?
and i'm running drag pipes with out baffles but with torque cones

Ya, that would totally work. Any aftermarket air intake is better than the stock restrictive air intake. Especially since you already opened the exhaust up with drag pipes, now you really need to let the engine breath air in easier. The Heavy Breather intake is just a name for the Screaming Eagle intake I have on my bike. You have a carburated bike so I am not sure what would be the best, just look in the forums or talk to a Harley shop and they should be able to point you to a good intake. You can expect to pay from 150 to 300 for an intake. I have seen the big sucker on other bikes and it looks good, so get the one for your bike and you should be good to go.

Did you already rejet the carb? You may want to check that out if it hasnt already been done. It is not hard to do, you just need to figure out what size jets to use. Most of the time someone out there has already done it so you should be able to find the correct size for your particular build if you look around or ask on the forums.

Hope I helped, just remember one thing...stock intakes are designed for emissions and not performance, so go high performance and let it breath like its meant to be!

Back