free website stats program Wichita to Tucumcari US54 or I35? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wichita to Tucumcari US54 or I35?

mnultra

So I am heading to Phoenix in February (in the truck with bike in tow) to ride with some family and I need your opinions. Should I take US54 from Wichita to Tucumcari or stay on I35 through OK City to I40? I know that 54 cuts about 100 miles off the trip but is two lane road. Of course, in February the weather will play a role but, let's just assume the weather is good.

Your $.02 is well spent here :D

Yea, why would one even consider an Interstate when there's 2 lane blacktop available.. & shorter to boot. I last drove 54 in a '40 Merc exactly 50 years ago, from wichita to Tucumcari then RT66 home to LA.. broke down in Bucklin, Ka.

I live in the OKC area and I can tell you Oklahoma roads are among the worst. I would avoid any of them I could. I-40 is a real mess in the OKC area both road wise and traffic wise. Lots of Semi's and not so impressive drivers. Stay away from it. I NEVER ride on it unless I have no choice. :(

Do any of you know what the speed limit is on 54? I have heard conflicting reports. Some are saying 55 and others are saying 65-70.

I took the route your wanting to take...US 54 in May of 09, and would recommend it whole heartedly. Nice smooth blacktop, well maintained, many ammenities, gas, motels,mom & pop eateries, etc. Speed limits were 55 in city areas, 65 in rural I-40 through OK is a joke, many trucks, terrible roads, idiot drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the OKC area and I can tell you Oklahoma roads are among the worst. I would avoid any of them I could. I-40 is a real mess in the OKC area both road wise and traffic wise. Lots of Semi's and not so impressive drivers. Stay away from it. I NEVER ride on it unless I have no choice. :(

You can say that again! I-35 Wichita to OKC was TERRIBLE last summer. Came down that on the way home from the black hills. We went thru 7 states including Texas, and Oklahoma roads were 50 times worse than any other state. It knocked my wheel weights off the back tire and my back was killing me after that stretch. JMO

Looks like 54 is the way to go as long as the weather is decent.

Thanks for all of your input.

Back