free website stats program Why Sturgis? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Sturgis?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Had an interesting dinner conversation with my wife, JDPEagle, and AJPanda concerning heading out to South Dakota for Sturgis 2011. It's something we definitely want to do someday, along with my original riding buddy Maysflyboy, but it's a 10 or 11 day commitment to do it from the Atlanta area.

Just looking for some input from those who have attended.
What makes Sturgis so special? Is it a "must do" event or can it easily be skipped? Is it over rated? If you were going to ride for 10 days to 2 weeks would you go to Sturgis or do something else out West?

Had an interesting dinner conversation with my wife, JDPEagle, and AJPanda concerning heading out to South Dakota for Sturgis 2011. It's something we definitely want to do someday, along with my original riding buddy Maysflyboy, but it's a 10 or 11 day commitment to do it from the Atlanta area.

Just looking for some input from those who have attended.
What makes Sturgis so special? Is it a "must do" event or can it easily be skipped? Is it over rated? If you were going to ride for 10 days to 2 weeks would you go to Sturgis or do something else out West?

If you enjoy riding in the bad lands and the feel of the old west it is a must, once I started going I could not stop, there are so many things to see and do out there and the shopping like Black Hills Gold wow, the rally is huge compared to Daytona, but it covers a lot more area, if you have never been I would try it once but plan ahead it gets very crowded, and it can be pretty hot and storms roll in from no where, Capital Jack, I can send you pics, or better yet if u r in Jacksonville again I have a good photo album I would share with you

Maybe one to put on "bucket list" someday...I'd recommend going through Black Hills/Sturgis before or after the rally. Beautiful scenery & less crowded. Don't care to be around 1000's of crazies with all their crazy friends trying to ride through crowded streets.

I was lucky enough to go there once, before I had the Harley, but I wasn't going to pass on the opportunity. If I had the chance to go again, I probably would, and if I had the chance to plan it (as opposed to getting a call saying, 'Hey, you want to go to Sturgis with us?'), I would go out before the event, ride the area, do the good rides in that area, catch the event on the first weekend, then get out of town and go to some other destination and ride.

So, if I had 2 weeks, I would go out, do some riding close by, hit the rally for a day or 2, then head a bit further west and do some riding. I'm not much on the big crowds for very long, most of the rides we did would have been much better without all the traffic, and your chances of getting pictures without a bunch of people you don't know stuck in them would be much better. :s There are just too many people there to try to get all the shots 'people free'.

That's how I would do it if I could. :D

Lots of good thoughts here everyone - thanks!

I like the idea of planning a trip out there to explore before the rally and then spending just a day or 2 actually checking out vendors/events. I've been to Biketoberfest 3 times now and I've SOOO had my fill of drunk and stupid idiots riding their trailer queen, "look at me" bikes up and down the streets aimlessly. I like the music, vendors, and overall comraderie at the rallies but sometimes the out of control testosterone can get overwhelming, if you know what I mean.

Dr D,
Sturgis opinions are going to vary 180deg. Either love it or hate it depending on your taste for rally life. My wife and I are on the burned out list. We love riding but the crowds are getting old. Its not so much the drunkeness, but the clubs strutting around. Lost my tolerance for high school hallway peacock strutting years ago. I also don't care for idling feet down from block to block for 6 hours...

however, we do "Sturgis" every year in early July. Kind of nice to drop into the Knuckle and have a beer and a stogie and get service... then hit the road. We do 2 weeks wandering through western Montana for a week then over to the black hills for a few days before heading home. GREAT TRIP!!!

Doc,
I have gone three times now, twice for the rally and once in late June which included a trip into Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. The rally is a lot of fun. Last year I went by myself and still had a blast. The experience can be as tame or as wild as you want. The riding experience in the Black Hills is just the best. My wife loved it the two times she went with me. Yes, there are a bunch of drunks riding around at night, but they seem to be the minority. I don't camp. (If I was in my 20's or 30's, I would be at the Buffalo Chip for sure.) I decided to go at the last minute this year and was able to get a decent hotel in Rapid City for a decent price. From Cincinnati it is a two day ride if the weather is ok. You do need to be aware that the weather in the Black Hills can change in a heart beat so have your foul weather gear handy.
Dave

Lots of good thoughts here everyone - thanks!

I like the idea of planning a trip out there to explore before the rally and then spending just a day or 2 actually checking out vendors/events. I've been to Biketoberfest 3 times now and I've SOOO had my fill of drunk and stupid idiots riding their trailer queen, "look at me" bikes up and down the streets aimlessly. I like the music, vendors, and overall comraderie at the rallies but sometimes the out of control testosterone can get overwhelming, if you know what I mean.
It is kind of fun to 'see & experience' the event, but it does not take me long to say 'been there, done that, let's go to the next spot. :)

My 2cents....you seen 1 motorcycle rally, you've seen 'em all. All you see at Sturgis is more of the same.
If you're looking to ride, and see some beautiful country then plan your trip to do just that.
We made about a 4700 mile loop last summer in 9 days of riding. Saw a lot of fantastic country.
Rocky Mt. National park...Trail Ridge Road..Peak To Peak...Grand Lake....Yellowstone....The Tetons...Chief Joseph Hiway...Bear tooth Pass...Etc. etc...There's just so much to see that you can't get enough of it.
The real limiting factor is the time. If your butt has trouble with 500 mile days, you ain't gonna make it.

Back