free website stats program Whistling Sound on 2004 FXD | Harley Davidson Forums

Whistling Sound on 2004 FXD

Cypress

I have a whistling sound that I hear usually between 20 and 30 mph. It does it during accel and decel. Clutch in and out. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the motorcycle but since it doesn't make this sound while not moving; I am having a hard time locating. Any suggestions or Advise?

Thanks in advance..

Possible exhaust gasket leak at the head or at a joint, possibly even at the muffler too. Sounds can be deceiving as to their origin.

Have you had a new rear tire installed and drive belt adjusted to tight????

I've heard that the hole in the front axle can "whistle" at certain speeds if it's at a certain angle. Not likely, but possible.

Today coming home from work I killed my engine when the sound started again. The sound remained with the engine off but coasting around 30 mph.

This all started after I had my front fork oil changed and a new brake light installed.

Thanks for the help.

Many years ago I changed the front tins on my softail and at 35 to 40mph it started to whistle. Took awhile to figure out that I had installed the tins backwards. Soon as I changed them the whisle was gone. Any chance when the fork oil was changed something was installed different?

my 92 fatboy whistles.. almost just as you say, can't find it though but as soon as I put on a windshield it stopped. its the simplest things in life.:D

Today coming home from work I killed my engine when the sound started again. The sound remained with the engine off but coasting around 30 mph.

This all started after I had my front fork oil changed and a new brake light installed.

Thanks for the help.

Since it started after fork oil change possably hole in axle is catching air like breeze suggested,Try putting some duct tape over holes and se if noise goes away

Back