free website stats program Which brakes do you use? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which brakes do you use?

harleybiker

Do you usually use your front, rear, or a bit of both? I tend to use my front brakes more than my rear though I do use both at times. For sudden stops, ie. deer running out in front of my bike, I seem to generally reach for the front brakes 90% of the time. Tell me what you do in regular riding and stopping as well as emergency stopping. Thanks.

hb

I use both. I can't recall when I used only the front or back. Maybe when I was testing or something.

Use both at highway speeds and not so slow around town..

Slow speed turns and riding in traffic at slow-race speed, I'll use just the rear to help stay upright (as taught by Ride Like A Pro).

I use a combination of both all the time out of habit. Generally use the front brake with a gentle amount of rear brake action. I have put bikes down using too much of either one. Went down from too much front brake coming up to a set of lights in the fall. It was wet out and there were leaves on the ground. The front end slid. Only hurt my pride. Emergency stopping- about 80% front, 20 rear.

Both most of the time. When to hot into curve will drag rear brake through part of corner. When making a u-turn in tight quarters heavy rear brake only..

Use both brakes all the time, with emphasis on matching braking pressure to conditions, like Old Hippie said. Just make a point not to grab or stomp on the controls when at speed or during slow maneuvers, at speed rear brake is used to settle the chassis attitude.

Especially at low speeds, I use the clutch friction zone and rear brakes as the V-twin power pulses are a bit uneven in delivery at small throttle openings (more to do with CV carb than anything else). More habits from my old metric riding days...where COG was higher and power was very abrupt with inline 4 multi's. Just my way.:s

I use both brakes however i tend to use a wee bit more of the rear than the front especially in deliberate slowing where a combination of engine gearbox and rear brake are what i use
at higher speeds i use front first with rear to steady the bike
as i live in a rural area often the roads are not busy so most of my slowing down is deliberate and planned

Brian

Both most of the time, but when I come off the pavement or make a slow turn my fingers automatically leave the front brake alone.
Ishmael

As the old hippie stated. Both almost all the time except in low spped manuvering then as Mr. Palidino teaches.

Keep the Dirty Side Down, Ride Safe:USA

Leog

Back