free website stats program Which 883 to buy? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which 883 to buy?

If you are interested in a solo tourer than I would definitely go for the bike with the forward controls, larger tank and windshield. Seats are cheap & easy to swap if you later have to.

For solo riding the Sportster is just fine. I’ve had one for a couple of years and ride mostly with my wife. I’d also like a bigger bike for two-up riding but can’t justify paying double or triple for the equivalent year & mileage big twin.

They (883s) are all good. It depends what kind of riding you will be doing; solo or two up. Buy the one that fits you. The low fits shorter riders and forward controls will add more stretch to you leg position if needed.:23: Good Luck!

I agree, although I like mine for right now. I have ridden off and on since '96 and my first one was a sporty. For the curves it's fun, but deffinately get a bigger one if cruising is in your future.

I only rode the one with the smaller tank. I like the mid-controls since that is what I am used to when I rode years ago. It has highway pegs to allow me to stretch out. The bike was in great shape, ran good (which it should with only 3300 mi.) and I like the sound of the Python pipes. I will pick it up Monday afternoon. Even my brother tried to get me to buy a bigger bike. I didn't want to invest any more money, will ride 99% of the time solo, and this bike is bigger then the 750 Honda I sold 17 years ago. I rode the Honda 500+ miles to Canada with my wife on the back, cruising at 75 mph without any problem.

I only rode the one with the smaller tank. I like the mid-controls since that is what I am used to when I rode years ago. It has highway pegs to allow me to stretch out. The bike was in great shape, ran good (which it should with only 3300 mi.) and I like the sound of the Python pipes. I will pick it up Monday afternoon. Even my brother tried to get me to buy a bigger bike. I didn't want to invest any more money, will ride 99% of the time solo, and this bike is bigger then the 750 Honda I sold 17 years ago. I rode the Honda 500+ miles to Canada with my wife on the back, cruising at 75 mph without any problem.

Carroll B. Remeber what i said. That 750Honda will blow that 883 off the road. Harleys are not fast or very quick. They vibrate. But they are unique. I had Hondas , Kawaskis but after riding the harley. I will not own nothing else. Monday you will be bitten, Buying that Harley is just the start. Next comes T-shirts, Chain drive billfold, Boots, and Chrome lots of chrome. And the trade up to that BIG TWIN. Just a freindly WARNING!!

I have an '06 XL883standard (mid controls) and love it. I agree with many of the guys that after a couple weeks I was bitten by the "I need BIGGER!" bug but have since calmed down. I have paid plenty a Harley Tax for my 883 and love it. I plan on keeping it for a year or 2 (and smiling the entire time) then perhaps moving to a Dyna\Soft tail.

As far as this thing screaming going 65\70... welp... mine doesn't. I placed the tach upgrade on it and it does 3800 rpm at 70 mph... 5500 is redline... so it just hums along. It sits at about 4500~ish going 90 mph... which I hardly ever do and most don't (or shouldn't). I justed wanted to see what she would do at that speed.

In regards to riding 2up on mine... no probs once again.. I don't even notice there is somone else on it. I am 5'7"... 170 lbs though... my son is a buck 30 and my lady is 5'3" 110 soooo... that might explain why riding 2up doesn't effect us.

an 883 is plenty. the only reasons I can see going larger is perhaps prestige (?)and definitely if you plan on touring. In a couple years I'll get larger more than likely but for now... The 883 is fun... packs 50~53 horses (55~58 jetted).

I have an '06 XL883standard (mid controls) and love it. I agree with many of the guys that after a couple weeks I was bitten by the "I need BIGGER!" bug but have since calmed down. I have paid plenty a Harley Tax for my 883 and love it. I plan on keeping it for a year or 2 (and smiling the entire time) then perhaps moving to a Dyna\Soft tail.

As far as this thing screaming going 65\70... welp... mine doesn't. I placed the tach upgrade on it and it does 3800 rpm at 70 mph... 5500 is redline... so it just hums along. It sits at about 4500~ish going 90 mph... which I hardly ever do and most don't (or shouldn't). I justed wanted to see what she would do at that speed.

In regards to riding 2up on mine... no probs once again.. I don't even notice there is somone else on it. I am 5'7"... 170 lbs though... my son is a buck 30 and my lady is 5'3" 110 soooo... that might explain why riding 2up doesn't effect us.

an 883 is plenty. the only reasons I can see going larger is perhaps prestige (?)and definitely if you plan on touring. In a couple years I'll get larger more than likely but for now... The 883 is fun... packs 50~53 horses (55~58 jetted).

Good post. Thanks. This helps in regards to my post titled "883 men, stand up"

I have been getting alot of comments about the 883 being a girls bike. lol.
I guess its similar to how my stock Mustang GT is looked down upon by those who have superchargers on their GT. The thing is...I don't want a supercharger.....

Back