Wheels and tires

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Classx, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Classx

Classx Member

Oh, one more thing. The dealers can't help me with new wheels for my 1999 FLHTCUI. I am leaning towards going with American Wire Wheels, they are expensive, but nice. They are also tubless! I was thinking about going with a 21" X 3.5" on the front and a 18" X 3.5" on the rear. I am having trouble finding tires. If anyone has suggestions on wheels I am open to that as well.

2. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

nice choice. and install a tube inside the tubeless tire.
  3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I have to agree with Steve, go tubeless.
  4. karlsbike

karlsbike Active Member

I'm running a tubeless AWW 16" with a 1" axle in the front (2000-up). I went for the stock size as I got a good deal on them, plus I like the balance of two same sized wheels. I am very happy with those wheels and whenever I bother cleaning them they look great with the fat spokes. No issues with air leakage and the chrome seems solid.

I would be a bit sceptical to installing a 21" up front although I've never tried a tourer with such a set-up.
    But, I have been riding both the FLSTC (130 x 16") and FXSTC (100? x 21"), and to me the Heritage feels much more solid in the curves and when braking hard.
    Another thing worth considering 'while you're in there' is to install a 2002-up swingarm (with spherical bearings instead of those soft cleve blocks). I did it last winter and the difference is pronounced. I can still feel some flexing, but it's now got a tighter feel to it. Next step is test out some aluminium bushings to stiffen up the rubber/steel donuts.
    YMMV, of course...
  5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Are you turning bike into a show bike?? Going to spokes is problematic enough let alone a 21" front...
  6. Classx

Classx Member

I have been running spokes for years and have never had a problem.

Even though I ride every day and am going to use this bike for long distance travel, every bike I own is a show bike (at least to me).

I have read a lot about guys who have gone to the 21" on front and loved it. However, if I can't get a tire for it I may just go with the 18" wheels front and rear.
  7. nakkers

nakkers Active Member

Anytime I see those 21" fronts on a bagger, they usually have Avon Venoms.

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find some. You can probably contact Avon directly and they can refer you to a local shop that has some in stock.

Looks nice in pictures.
  8. Classx

Classx Member

I spoke with Avon, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michilen this week and no one has tires to fit. I just talked to Vee Rubber and they have a shipment of the sizes I need in wide white walls arriving in about eight weeks.
  9. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

A friend installed a 21" on his 2001 Ultra. Looked cool but he just traded for a 2011 CVO Road Glide.

After trading, he admitted the 21" was a big mistake.
    Handling was a chore at lower speeds.

I wouldn't install tubes on a wheel that didn't need a tube.
    If you have a flat, it would be hard to patch while alongside the road.
    Keep it simple.
  10. Classx

Classx Member

Wheel Help

I have a 1999 Ultra and my friend has a 2007 Road King. We are both thinking of getting a 21" X 3.5" spoke front wheel. He will be using his stock rear spoke wheel while I am going to an 18" X 3.5" rear wheel. These will be made by American Wire Wheel and will be tubless.

What I need is opinions from people who have actually made such a change on a bagger. I am looking for real world pros and cons.

I already know we will have to drill and raise the back of the fender slightly, that there will be a slight change on slow handling, and the front will be raised about 1.5".