free website stats program wheel spacer | Harley Davidson Forums

wheel spacer

leedham

Hey gang,

Just replaced my lower legs on my Road King. New seal kit. Pretty straightforward. The one question that keeps bugging me has to do with the notches on the bigger wheel spacer. Are they to determine which direction it faces ? A friend with a similar Road King said his faced the opposite direction than mine. I really couldn't find any dimensional difference with a pair of verniers.

I asked myself that same question regarding the rear spaces on my bike. Nothing I found in print says the spaces are directional. I also measured mine and found no difference from side to side. It looked to me that facing the collar either way would be OK.

I may be wrong but I believe the marks are used to identify a particular collar size and not the direction of installation.

I just looked in my '07 service manual. In the front wheel removal/reassembly section, it states the 3 notches on the long spacer go to the BEARING side. No reason or explanation why.

Last edited:
I just looked in my '07 service manual. In the front wheel removal/reassembly section, it states the 3 notches on the long spacer go to the BEARING side. No reason or explanation why.

"When in doubt:

LOOK IN THE BOOK!!"

tq

I have been in the same boat and decided to myself that it didn't matter. After 10000 miles the wheel still goes around, and I guess that is what counts.
kemo

Back