free website stats program Wheel installation kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel installation kit

Blue Wide Glide

I am considering buying a slotted six spoke 21" wheel for my Wide Glide. I see that you now have to buy a "wheel installation kit" to go with the wheel. I assume the "kit" has the wheel-bearings and spacer in it.
Has anyone installed one of these "kits"? Is this something you can do at home,:newsmile04: or do I have to pay HD more $$$:33:

Wheel bearings are pressed in. Most are not equipped to do this at home. Harley can do it, but cheaper to find a local indy.

If you are thinking of saving money by doing the R & R of the wheel yourself of course, as the bike on a "rack" charge is what is the major cost besides that $400 custom wheel. Carry in work to press bearing is "duck soup" for any local "Indy" including your HD shop with a decent bench bearing press.

Last edited:
You can do it at home and not spend $$$ for the tools .. I think i got 100$ into my setup to remove and reinstall the bearings. might not be pretty but it works

if ya want i can get pics and post everythign and where to get it

I will might take me few days as im cleaning garage and got everything scattered

Well, if you really want to do it yourself at home you can use clamps (if you have big adjustable ones a decent equipped wood or metal working tool, patience and a correct diameter socket to press it in, but why not an indy do it for $15 or $20 for carry it in.

Yes, you can save money, identify the part number of the proper bearing and spacers, buying from a bearing supply house, even upgrade to one with double seals so you may not even need to lube it ever again.

Merely a matter of doing research and spending YOUR time...decide what is more valuable to you...buy off the shelf or spend tons of research and time doing it totally yourself.

Last edited:
heres the pics nothing fancy .. and why would i do it instead fo paying the local indy .. who do i trust more than me ?? no one

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

95987.gif

1 blind hole bearing puller.. i caught it on sale for 29$ this will do 3/4ths 1" and 25mm bearings in my bike with abs they were 25mm

since its from harbor freight its made in china i think and the threaded rod on the slap hammer is metric.. you will not get the bearings out on with the slap hammer so go down to hard ware store and fine the rod cloeset and run it into the adapter head..

Then weld and you end up with this

100_1262.jpg

use the PVC cap and other piece of straight PVC not shown to fit on wheel hub and bull the bearing up and in witht he pvc you dont have to remove rotors though it rests on bolts ..

100_1263.jpg

As for the installer tool i Ebayed it i know some dont like the place but it was cheap and the fittings to press the bearing in were exact size

100_1264.jpg

Harley Davidson Sealed Wheel Bearing Installer Tool:eBay Motors (item 160371510434 end time Nov-19-09 19:07:08 PST)

This is who i got it from little cheaper in the summer .. So under 100$ and about 20 mins fo your time to change the bearings your sure its done right ..It had the adapters for 3/4 1" and 25mm bearings also ..

Ill have to do a full right up of changing tires and such

I like the way Hobbit thinks I am a proffesional auto tech and I have made similar pullers also, be creative and always protect the bearing surfaces never use a punch or hammer on them good info here guys and girls

Back