free website stats program Wheel Bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings

Rhys

Hey guys,
I have enjoyed a summer of riding, and sadly its getting cold up here so Im getting started on some maintenance and upgrades. My issue is with wheel bearings. I have a 2007 FLHP roadking police. I want a new front rim and the company presses them in before you get them and they nor I know what size bearing. The bike has abs but the sensor is on the fork and the other part is on the rotor. They seem to think that the bearing has the abs in it or something to that affect. They look like a normal bearing to me, and their isn't no abs connected to it. So does anyone know what size bearings I need so I can install this new 21 inch wheel on my piglet. I was given two part numbers from the service dept, "9247" & "9252" any ideas?????

Looking at the parts book it does not show a different bearing other than the 9247. however the service manual does say that a different size wheel could cause some issues with the wheel speed sensors calibration abilities.

My 2007 parts manual lists only the 9247 bearing which is the same as what I just replaced om my 03 with no abs....................hmmm???

Now, with that being said, I would think that the new wheel would just require the non abs bearing (9247) since like you state, the sensor is on the fork and the pickups are on the rotor. As lordharold points out a different size wheel would matter on the width of the hub, which shouldn't change. I would ask the wheel manufacturer to provide the exact hub width (at disc mounting surfaces)and compare it to your current wheel. Any variation could affect the sensors ability to pick up the wheel speed and mess with the abs system. Just a thought.

I think the difference in the bearing numbers are that one is a 3/4" axle and the other one is for the 1" axle. Not 100% on this.

I'm pretty sure the 07 models used a tone ring riveted to the rotor for the abs as the pick up with the sensor mounted on the fork. I'm still at work and don't have access to my service manuals. If that's the case then the bearing is the same used in non abs models like mine, part # 9247. 08 and up is when they went with the new "abs" bearing and also changed to 25mm IIRC.

I'm pretty sure the 07 models used a tone ring riveted to the rotor for the abs as the pick up with the sensor mounted on the fork. I'm still at work and don't have access to my service manuals. If that's the case then the bearing is the same used in non abs models like mine, part # 9247. 08 and up is when they went with the new "abs" bearing and also changed to 25mm IIRC.

Thanks Man,
you are 100% on the money about the bearings and rotors. I have looked into the rim extensively and what I have found is people will add a rim that isn't true to the bike and have to add spacers to get it to fit. The rim I am getting is a 21 x 3.5 for the touring models, and the service tech said that it would work out on their. I hope he knows what he is talking about. I don't have any service manuals for my bike to read up on the abs system and how it works on these bikes.

Hope you have the info you need and that the wheel manuf. is giving you the straight skinny. A manual will be the best tool you can have when doing maint. and modifications.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same situation as the original poster. Is there a definitive answer on the front wheel bearing size for the rotor mounted ABS on an 07 Police bike? I've called my wheel manufacturer, and they were not even aware of the rotor mounted ABS on these bikes. They suggested removing the stock wheel and measuring the bearings. I'm looking for someone who has done this to give me a straight answer. Thanks!

Back