free website stats program Wheel bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearings

TQuentin1

Staff member
Has anyone debugged what bearings HD is pressing in the hubs of the cast wheels on the '03 Ultras? Better yet, are there better sealed bearings to use for this application?

I have about 80K on this bike and think I should swap them next tire change.

TQ

TQ when I swapped out my spoked wheels for cast wheels I went on eBay and found a seller for bearings. They were cheap, I think that I paid $20 for the four bearings. I have put 30000 miles on those cheap bearings and have had not problems.
Ken

TQ when I swapped out my spoked wheels for cast wheels I went on eBay and found a seller for bearings. They were cheap, I think that I paid $20 for the four bearings. I have put 30000 miles on those cheap bearings and have had not problems.
Ken

Hey guys this is who I use. Fast shipping and no problems as of yet with their products.

Ball Bearings:Miniature bearings:Ceramic Bearings:Bearing

OK, good. Question is though, what bearings are in there now? I am guessing I will find out when I pull the wheels off to get the new tires mounted, but I would like to get the bearings in advance so I can have all that done at the same time.

Also, I remember reading on here what the process is for replacing the bearings, but can't find that post now. Anyone remember which post that was?

TQ

TQ I use a wheel bearing puller I bought on eBay for $22.95. I find that a little heat around the hub and the bearing will pop right out. I use a 1/2" threaded rod to pull the new bearings in. Do an eBsay search for Harley wheel bearings.
Ken

I do not think that having no spacer would not really work as as there would be too much stress on the inner races of the bearings from the spacers on the outside of the wheels and the bearing would self destruct very quickly
As the spacer between the bearings carries the load applied by the torque on the axle

Brian

I do not think that having no spacer would not really work as as there would be too much stress on the inner races of the bearings from the spacers on the outside of the wheels and the bearing would self destruct very quickly
As the spacer between the bearings carries the load applied by the torque on the axle

Brian

Right. That is exactly what we were all telling the OP. But in that thread was a great process for changing out the bearings, and the specific sequence to do that in. It was a great post, but I can't seem to find it again.

TQ

Back