free website stats program What's next with my Sporty? | Harley Davidson Forums

What's next with my Sporty?

Sentinel

I have an 83 Sportster XLS 1000cc bored out higher. I love it. It's my daily. Although aesthetically I feel it's a bit off. At first glance it is beautiful (IMO) but I feel as if something is missing. I'm currently fixing shift shaft as it popped out and installing new clutch plates so don't mind that. If you check out the pictures you'll form an opinion of your own. Personally I'm not too sure about the front fender and rims. I was thinking of maybe a fairing? Making it look like a baby dyna, idk just ideas. If anyone has advice or ideas, feel free to throw them at me. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    IMG_2228.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 47
Looks good as it sits and presume the seat also complements the overall flow of the bike. I think the front fender is fine as it aesthetically matches the rear one.

Just some ideas, not criticisms at all, but some things to think about:

- More curved and flowing handlebars. The sharp corners of the existing ones seem to clash with the flowing lines.
- A tach and new double instrument mount.
- The gap at the front of the tank seems too large, even with a peanut tank. A larger tank, even one that sits a bit lower and over the frame would solve that. Perhaps moving the tank a bit further forward?
- Hand paint the non-machined parts of the wheels with the same black. This would make the wheels visually smaller. I did that on my '07 Dyna and liked the effect and may do it to my 1200C Sporty.
- Perhaps one of those bikini fairings?

Have a couple photos if interested.

Bill

Looks good as it sits and presume the seat also complements the overall flow of the bike. I think the front fender is fine as it aesthetically matches the rear one.

Just some ideas, not criticisms at all, but some things to think about:

- More curved and flowing handlebars. The sharp corners of the existing ones seem to clash with the flowing lines.
- A tach and new double instrument mount.
- The gap at the front of the tank seems too large, even with a peanut tank. A larger tank, even one that sits a bit lower and over the frame would solve that. Perhaps moving the tank a bit further forward?
- Hand paint the non-machined parts of the wheels with the same black. This would make the wheels visually smaller. I did that on my '07 Dyna and liked the effect and may do it to my 1200C Sporty.
- Perhaps one of those bikini fairings?

Have a couple photos if interested.

Bill
Yeah absolutely some pics would be of some inspiration

Here you go

Attachments

• thumb_26-300515153527.jpeg.png
    thumb_26-300515153527.jpeg.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1993.JPG
    DSCN1993.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0877.JPG
    DSCN0877.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 29
I brushed on Rust-oleum flat black. The 1/2 pint can from Home Depot was more than enough. The brushes were from an art store and were student grade 3/4" and 3/8" with the larger one used almost exclusively. The wheels were off the bike and laid flat on a small stand and as i recall it was easy to repetitively paint each area and the consistency made for a better job. The wheels were, of course, thoroughly washed and dried before painting.

I considered either masking the machined surfaces and spraying or masking and brushing but decided not to due to the time it would take against just being careful. I kept a can of paint thinner and rags handy to wipe up any over-brushed spots and that worked well. The first coat went on slowly but the second was quick. There always seemed to be thin spots and missed areas with the first coat; although not really obvious to anyone but myself.

I understand Harley paints their wheels first then machines (and chromes as appropriate) them. We don't have that option.

This was not a difficult project and the return vs effort was high. Cost about $6 and a couple afternoons. If you go this way I believe you will be satisfied with the change in appearance.

Bill

Your pics are a tad confusing. The first two or three seem like the same bike, but then you include a pic of a gray colored bike?

IF the bike you want suggestions on, is the darker colored bike, I'd consider saddle bags, and a windshield.

If the last picture is the end result of what you did to the darker colored bike................then "never mind."

Soupy, the black bike is the original poster's, Sentinal's, bike. He is asking for ideas.

The silver (grey in the photo) Dyna was mine, showing my suggestion on painting the wheels.

Back