free website stats program What was your first bike learning experience like | Harley Davidson Forums

What was your first bike learning experience like

hogcowboy

Mine was a 1971 Honda 185 Twinstar. Blue in color so I named her Blue. First ever bike at age 31. She scared the heck out of me. So much so that I agreed to buy it only if the dealer would deliver it to my house. He did and it sat in the garage for the next 3 weeks while I got nerve up enough to try it out. I had to because that was the year of the first gas shortage in California and to find gas was a job in itself. But I finally got the nerve to sit on it a start it. You would have thought it was some 5,000 horse power monster I was so afraid of it. Now if your laughing your face off right now, just think, I hadn't put it in gear yet. So after convincing myself I now knew how to start it and rev it up, I shut her down and started to think about the next step. To put it in gear!

Well another week went by and I finally said to myself, just do it. So pulled it out of the garage one day after work and after having three or four cans of courage under my belt, I got all prepared and start it again. This time I remembered what dealer said about the gears being one down and the rest up. So I pulled the clutch in and stomped on the gear shift one time and it jumped a little. I said oh darn, what have I done. Still very scared I started to ease the clutch out and it started to moved. Now I'm really scared and I start twisting the throttle more and more. Wasn't going any where! I wasn't letting clutch out any at all. I had a death grip on that bugger.

So I began to get my wits about me and tried to get the clutch release throttle twist all worked to where it started to move. And then more and more and I'm basically walking along and then I release more and a lurch followed by an immediate slow down, then lurch slow down over and over to where I could no longer keep walking it along but was actually sorta riding and lurching with my feet just barely off the ground. I continued that all the way around the block. First gear all the way. Man I had won!!!!!

I did that every night after work for three more days. Around the block lurching still now and then still in first gear. I realized that was going to have to change so I got my nerve up to try a shift. I got going faster and faster then released the throttle, shifted up real hard and hit the throttle again. It revved up so much I thought I was going to blow it up. But it didn't go any where. All that for nothing. It didn't take too long for me to realize I didn't use the clutch so I basically did a power shift to neutral. Man was I embarrassed. So now I had to do it all over again. I did and finally got second gear and boy was I flying!!!!!

So that's how Blue and I began our life together. I continued the around the block thing until one morning I decided it was time to take her to work. That would also be the first time I got her to fourth gear. Now I was so excited and scared at the same time that it was down right hilarious. As if it hadn't been all ready. I got it all working pretty good going to work, all off 5 miles with hardly any traffic. But when a car did get around me I really was not sure what to do except try not to get run over. Believe me I had a death grip on the handle bar!!!!

Believe it or not I finally got where I was doing okay in the little bit of traffic I had to deal with and started to venture out more and more. I started adding goodies to the bike that ended up making it look like a baby Harley. Complete with batwing fairing, saddle bags and tote box. All matching the same color blue as the bike. Started taking longer and longer rides not just to work. I finally got a wild hair to take it from San Jose California to Bakersfield in the central valley. I have know idea how many miles that was but it was a bunch. Down highway 101, over Pacheco Pass and down highway 5. Most of that trip I had Blue wide open and wanted more for the first. That trip taught me a lot. Especially how to draft the truckers and prepare for the wind blast of on coming trucks.

Needless to say I made it but it wasn't too long after that that I began wanting something with a little more power. Never thought I would the way I started out. I kept Blue. Didn't trade her in on the huge 400 Hawk I eventually got. So I started all over with the Hawk. Too much power for me. It intimidated me so it was the same thing all over. Would only buy it if delivered, ect, ect. Put 66,000+ miles on the Hawk and I owe it all to Blue. Which by the way my new wife then decided she wanted to learn to ride and old Blue was there to teach. I hated to let her go but finally did after the wife graduated to a BMW and I traded the Hawk in on an 85 Electra Glide. Good times me and Blue. It was a sad day when she was rode away. So there's my story of Blue and how I learned to ride!
icon_laugh.gif
So what's your story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good story!

Mine goes a little different though. I took the MSF safety course to get my license haveing never even sat on a motorcycle before. The Army paid for the course and I was interested in trying out motorcycling to see if was something I wanted to get into. I passed the 2 day course with no problem....on a kawasaki 125! That was in September of 2008 and I was "30 something" years old. Was going to buy a bike right away that September but found out I was deploying in Spring of 09 and decided to wait till I got home before buying because all motorcycles are warrantied in years not miles and did not want to have a bike sitting in my garage eating up warranty time while I was overseas.

Anyway......I was going to buy a 650cc or less bike for my first ride based on what the MSF instructors recommended but after talking at length with the guys I was deployed with about what to buy they said "you are not some 18 year old kid with a death wish just buy the bike you want". So I bough a 2010 superglide custom with the 1584 site unseen through the Army exchange program. It delivered to the dealership and I had to go pick her up somehow.......two Army buddies helped me out! THey met me at the dealership....one with a pick up truck and one with his Road King......the plan was to let me run her around the parking lot a few times and if I was not comfy pulling out in traffic we would load it in the truck to get it home....if I felt good the other guy would lead me home with his road king. Well.......I road around that lot for about 20 minutes and my buddy on the road king said.....and I'll never forget this...."At some point you just need to take a big bite and just go for it"! I pulled out into trafic scared as heck but rode her home no problem! I'll never forget the first time I short shifted that harley up to second and grabbed some throttle! The pounding of the motor.....the stretch in my arms from the tourque......I was in heaven! I now have 22,000 miles on my bike after two seasons and am looking to upgrade to a road king! GOOD TIMES!

The first bike I rode my cousin and I shared. Our Grandfather picked up a used Honda 50 trail bike. I was probably 11 or 12 so we are talking 1975-76. That bike was blast except for the kick start. We did wheelies and went over dirt jumps. Of course we crashed a few time along the way.

As my riding ability improved I moved up to a Yamaha 80. This was like a real motorcycle compared to the Honda. I was still cranking a kick start (all 75 pounds of me) but now I had an actual clutch and much more speed!!!

I had different road and off road bikes over the years. The fastest was a 1995Kawasaki ZX-6. I was small and light so for me that thing was like a rocket.

Over time things change and I went for more comfort deciding I wanted a vibration isolated engine, fuel injection, and hard bags. In October of 2009 I bought a 2006 Road King. I love this bike and have not looked back.

It’s always nice to share something you enjoy. My youngest daughter (now 19) started riding off road when she was around 12. When she was 16 she took the motorcycle safety course. The day she tested for her driver’s license, she presented her certificate and also got the motorcycle endorsement. She has always liked “old school” looking bikes and has a 1985 Suzuki 450 L.

I rode a few automatic 50cc bikes around 7-8 years of age. then driving with my pop one day we passed a Kawasaki kd80 in a yard with a for sale sign. I said should we go back and look at it? He smiled and said sure. It didnt run and needed work but a few days later it was in the garage being ripped into. dad got it running good, and showed me how to kick start it, and all the controls. then he left me out in the yard to feel it out for myself.. I killed that thing about 50 times before I got to ride 10 feet. I still cant believe he left me out there as long as he did... but lesson well received, I learned the hard way and it stuck. I did lots of trail riding, and some not so legal back street riding on that bike. rode some bigger dirt bikes here and there. then shortly after getting my licence I bought a used nighthawk cb650, and the only way I knew how to get home was 15 miles of express way (I94 west bound from outside of Milwaukee) that was freaky and awesome at the same time, I had a huge smile, but was frightened going so fast along side of cars for the first time ever. I got home safe and my mother frowned on me purchasing a motorcycle before I ever had a car. Living in Wisconsin she had valid reasons..lol
I still have that bike, but now pleased to be on a HD. Thanks Pops Love Ya.

well you guys are bringing back memories. yep had the honda 55 first (the one that looked like a girls peddle bike) spent a lot of time on that when i was 8-10. then just kept going up from there, had some nice dirt bikes (can-am 250 qualifier) couldn't keep the front tire down. then went to the street as soon as i could, got dad to co sign for a loan and bought a honda twin star (yep the blue one) then 2 months later when my father and mother were on a short holiday i traded it in for a Honda 400 hawk T1. 750 XS yamaha and up and up and up and now :D my RKP and my 98 FXSTC :D:D:D

as was said before...thanks pops love ya

Mine was a friends `79 Suzuki 425 that he wanted to sell. He told me to give it a try. After a short review of what was what I rode it down the gravel to his parents. Growing up on a farm and learning to drive everything on it made learning to ride that Suzy fairly easy. He was interested in the beater `64 Dodge I had so I traded him and some cash for the bike. I just needed to get a new battery, mirrors, and a speedometer cable to make it road worthy. That was March 1983 and by April I had my motorcycle learners. By May I took the road test and passed way too easily even with having to do a figure-8 on loose gravel. Because of that I signed up for the evening Motorcycle course that was offered at the nearby Armed Forces base. Had a blast at that riding Honda 200 trail bikes and knocking my knees with the bars on the Honda 250 Customs. If I remember correctly it cost me about $75 to take that course. The following year the government made it mandatory and the price jumped to $250.
Because of work I never did finish the last 2 evenings of the course but the instructors said no problem as they figured I didn`t need it.
After the 3rd evening I rode in on a new `83 Honda V45 Magna and promptly got a talking to for riding onto the base without a helmet. No helmet laws in Manitoba at that time but they were required on the base.

1966 honda 305 dream, very cool little bike, looked like a little touring bike...made the summer trips to the swimmin hole...and back. That was in 1972. Seems like not just another time...but a whole other dimension.

I bought a bike while i only had a learners permit [1969] and didn't know anyone with a licence, So i would sit on my driveway and wait till someone on a bike would ride bye and flag him down :bigsmiley23:and if he was just riding nowhere in particular i would ask if can i follow him. I did that a lot.
Believe it or not that's how i learned to ride.:bigsmiley12:

OOPS...didn't read the whole thread title...the part abouit learning experience. First ride was my step brothers Bridgestone...100 or 125cc. Made it about half a mile from the house...had to push it back...before he got home....thats all I am gonna say....he is still bigger than me.

My first learning experience would have been on a mid to late 60s Honda 50. In the mid to late 60s. I can't remember last week let alone the 60s.

Back