What tool for brake pad removal

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by folklectic, Jul 7, 2008.

1. folklectic

folklectic New Member

Hiya,
    Just signed up here and it's great!
    So, I have a question about the brakes on my bike and any help would be greatly welcomed. What tool do i need to remove the two pins holding the brake pads in the calipers on my 04 Electra-glide? This is driving me nuts! I've tried 12 point metric (down to a size7) and a tork bit and cant find anything that fits!
    Thanks in advance,

Folklectic

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I use a 1/4 drive by 1/4 thin wall 12 point socket. I got mine from snapon, couldn't find one in any store

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

1/4" - 12 Point available in sears would do it nicely.

4. RickB

RickB Member

The other choice but harder to find is a reverse or female torx. There is a name for it that I have forgotten. Sears has them but not in the size to fit your brakes. You would probably have to go to Snap on. That's why most of us use the 1/4" 12 point socket.

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

1/4" 12 point X 1/4" drive socket will do the trick

6. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

The '04 calipers are not floaters so lubing the pins won't do much except contaminate the pads if you're generous with the lube.I use a 12 PT 1/4".I do smear a little waterproof grease on the threaded portion of the pins.Makes them easier to remove later.A 6MM 12 PT is what it really is but either that or the 1/4" 12 PT will do the job.