free website stats program What tool for brake pad removal | Harley Davidson Forums

What tool for brake pad removal

folklectic

Hiya,
Just signed up here and it's great!
So, I have a question about the brakes on my bike and any help would be greatly welcomed. What tool do i need to remove the two pins holding the brake pads in the calipers on my 04 Electra-glide? This is driving me nuts! I've tried 12 point metric (down to a size7) and a tork bit and cant find anything that fits!
Thanks in advance,

Folklectic

I use a 1/4 drive by 1/4 thin wall 12 point socket. I got mine from snapon, couldn't find one in any store

The other choice but harder to find is a reverse or female torx. There is a name for it that I have forgotten. Sears has them but not in the size to fit your brakes. You would probably have to go to Snap on. That's why most of us use the 1/4" 12 point socket.

The '04 calipers are not floaters so lubing the pins won't do much except contaminate the pads if you're generous with the lube.I use a 12 PT 1/4".I do smear a little waterproof grease on the threaded portion of the pins.Makes them easier to remove later.A 6MM 12 PT is what it really is but either that or the 1/4" 12 PT will do the job.

Back