free website stats program What mods are being made to CVO engines | Harley Davidson Forums

What mods are being made to CVO engines

I have an 09 CVO Fat Bob and am familiar with the 110 engine. My bike is stock except for the SE slip-ons. I'm trying to sell this bike as I have a 2011 CVO Street Glide coming in early Nov.. In the mean time I also have a standard 08 SG (trying to sell it also). I did the 103 BigBore to it with street ported heads and cams (96HP 120TQ). Anyway, my Fat Bob is plenty fast but of course it is a light weight. My 08 SG is very powerful and has handled all we could throw at it as far as touring goes. When my CVO SG arrives I'm concerned about it's power level. My wife an I are serious tourers who carry a lot of stuff when we travel. Power on my 08 SG is a none issue. But I have heard the touring CVO's are a little down on power. Because on the weight I guess. If the 110 needs anything, what might it need?
Gary

This is the first that I heard a CVO is down on power. My friend and nieghbor has a new CVO (and man is it pretty) we recently went on a trip up north and he had no problems at all with it. Blue Ridge Mts up hill passing semi's a nice ride. Of course I have a 09 EG stag one and I no problems either. I was carring all the stuff to camp out for a week on my bike.
I would suggest get bike try it then make changes as needed, but, I think you will find it to be perfect as is. Just my opinion.

take a look in the screamin eagle book there is a new engine kit out for the cvo which might take your fancy

I have a SERG and the power is great but always room for improvement. I wouldn't do anything that will hurt your warranty for 2 years, but getting rid of the cat and a TTS computer programmer would really open it up. I am going to put new cams in next year but only after the warranty is done. FYI...went on a ride with 10 guys and one bike was a rental. The chrome around the cat area was burnt off. I know taking the cat off will void the warranty, I just have a stock head pipe I can put on if I need to have something done.

I Can't Help but Wonder?????

What problems COULD you create IF you take OFF the cats on the newer bikes..??

I understand any ANY modification "not allowed" that CAUSES a problem to that part in question,,,, on stock bike,,,, will void that "PART" and Problems Caused by that "PART",,,,, THAT part of the warranty will be voided(.).....
Hence,,,, Your tranny goes out while you have on the Older style head pipes W/O the cats.....
This should NOT void your warranty on the Tranny!!!

If you directly MODIFIED a part that CAUSED the Problem THEN the warranty would be voided ON That Part Only......

Now this is how I understand it....

I have done MANY changes on my New bikes and Never had a problem under warranty... Now , maybe it is because I have always Had and EXPECTED the place I bought the bike from to look the other way a little if needed...:dknow

Mind you, I have never gone Over-Board with any Modification while under warranty BUT I DO expect them to cover my changes to a stock bike UNLESS that part I added DOES Fault and Cause the bigger problem.....

signed....BUBBIE

Some dealers can be jerks, so I tread lightly on what you can do with your bike because I don't how your dealer is. They will make up any reason to deny coverage. JMO

I have a 09 CVO RG. I agree with Fireguy. The power is good and the 110 does a great job in the Heavy Touring realm. The CI's give you the power to pull hills and maintain freeway speeds effortlessly. In the stock configuration you will not get the HP or TQ numbers your SG has. What you will have is Cubic Inches. I don't think the CVO motor is really a performance enhancment, it's not a "HD racing motor" fitted to a touring frame, it's just a bigger motor, what it does provide is smooth, usable tourque throughout the RPM range and won't bogg down or suffer power loss when pulling a long steep grade while loded down with people and gear. As for Mods, again Firefly mirrors my thoughts on this. I have V&H True Duals, I have fitted the SE mufflers with Fulsac 1.75" baffels and installed a Tmax Turner. I too feel that cams would go along way at improving the performance of the motor but am reluctant to possibly void my warrenty. Good luck and enjoy your new CVO. Firefly's right about keeping your old pipes too, CA just passed a noise law and I expect smog laws to be right around the corner.

Bubbie.........I've had an 02, 07 and now an 09 HD. On the 02 and 07 HD sold me the bike and told me they would warrenty everything except, non-HD approved or installed parts. When I bought my 09, HD had me sign a document that promised I wouldn't install anything other than "Legal" HD equipment and that only HD "Dealers" could sell or install the stuff on the penalty that it would void my warrenty. I don't know if all the HD dealers do this. I have a very good relationship with the Service Department at this Dealer. They know that I do all of my own servicing and minor mods on my bike but that I buy all of my parts from them unless it's something I gotta get on the internet. I haven't had any issues with this dealer on warrenty items or re-calls but I guess they could say/do something if they wanted to. In the mean time, I kinda maintain a low profile, If I had ta take my 09 in for warrenty work, I'd get it back as close to stock as I could before I took it in.

Back