What Engine Should I upgrade too

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by IR Rick, Mar 10, 2010.

1. IR Rick

IR Rick Active Member

I have the 2009 UC, I was thinking trading in on a new COV UC,
    but it's about $20,000 spread.
    I what a good lond dist engine with 110 hp and around 120tq
    I also pull a Aspen camping trailer about 500lbs

Should go with S&S, or Jim's SE built? OR What do you think is the best for the coin:newsmile093:
    thanks for the help

2. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Account Removed

go 124" with yours
    kirby vee twin racing

3. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

I would definitely go for the 131'' Jims, I've put one in a 08 FLHX and it has over 20,000 trouble free miles on it, it would definitely break you're 110/120 requirements. You can also check them out in the S/E catalog on-line.

View attachment JIMS 2009 131'' engine.pdf

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

5. murf

murf Active Member

OK, here comes the poor NC boy again. (I try to keep him quiet but he doesn't listen well). I would think that you can bump your 96ci to 103ci or 110ci including head work and all for a lot less than 20k. I may be wrong on that cause I've never done it or seen the bill on one but I sure would think it could be done. I know the factory 103ci isn't all it could be due to restrictive head flow. Combination of meeting EPA and allowing HD to upsell. I think if I were just gonna buy one I will side with Hobbit and get the SE 110.

6. B-1B_Guy

B-1B_Guy Junior Member

It all depends on how deep your pocket is. 103 kit w/ good cams can produce 110 TQ. Headwork with MATCHED cams can produce 120 TQ.

If $$ is no issue, go with the 131 and be done with it.

7. IR Rick

IR Rick Active Member

So: if I take my 96 build it up to a 103" or 107 will it be a dependable engine
    for cross county ridding, I hear after you rebuild one you end up with Oil leaks and not a very dependable motor, I was looking at the 110" SE but if it's the 2008 block, it sounds like there are issue with it. I have not check into the Jim’s engine but if I get that for less then $10k installed, that should be beater then the CVO, at a $17k difference on a trade in :newsmile093:
    The CVO Club will have to do with out me:s

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Handsome motors you got there Chopper

9. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

The trick with making the Jims 131'' cost effective is selling the motor you have. The job I did for the FLHX cost was around $6.000.00 after he sold his new engine on ebay. The engine comes complete ready to bolt in, the only thing I recommend is upgrading to the 58 mm EFI throttle body with it. One thing I don't like about building up a stock engine too much, especially with aftermarket performance parts is things like the weight of the pistons, the strength & material thickness of the cases, flywheels are balanced for the stock pistons and once you change that weight you throw the balance off, now you have a race engine not a smooth running touring engine anymore. The price of performance is more then just dollar and cents.