what electrical plug did I discover on my bike?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Whiterook, May 11, 2010.

1. Whiterook

Whiterook Member

I have a Softail Heritage 2007. I noticed what looks like the end of a wire with a bar connector, kinda like what a trailor light plugs into when you hook it up to your vehicle. It is almost directly below the oil cap, very close to the shock at the bottom of the frame. What is this and can any goodies plug into it?

2. SilverFoXD

SilverFoXD Active Member Contributor

Sounds like the plug-in for a battery tender. Trace it back to see if it connects to the battery and to nothing else.

Local dealer automatically installs one on every bike they sell. Might be the case here.

Good luck.

3. cdn-bigfoot

cdn-bigfoot Junior Member

Got a digital camera? Take a picture and get a definitive answer.

4. rancid

rancid Active Member

kinda sounds like the "active exhaust" plug, which is an epa thing for HDI bikes

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

I'm banking on the battery tender pigtail too...can also look at your battery posts to see if the other end connects to them. If true, might want to ask previous owner/dealer if they have the charging unit that plugs into the pigtail. If not, Deltran sells the one marketed by HD. Here's their site:

Battery Tender - Home of the Battery Tender Jr. - Batterytender.com

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Discovery is a beautiful thing, but it goes 2 ways, the observer and the scribe to document it...there are a lot of plugs "under the hood (seat & covers), so clarity is also a good thing and a picture is worth a thousand words. A couple more plugs are the Diagnostic plug and the more difficult to find Auxiliary Accessory plug as far as "open" unlabeled ones.

7. SilverFoXD

SilverFoXD Active Member Contributor

Just took another look at my '07 in the morning light.

If the plug is about 3/4" wide, black, and has two wires, would be the battery tender plug.

If about 1 1/5" wide, black with a cover, and has four wires, it would be for the tech's use in diagnostics and emissions inspection. This is probably tucked up higher on the bike and closer to the ECM.

Could even be a plug-in for electric vests, etc., the prior owner added.

8. PaPa T

PaPa T Active Member

on a 09 the plug that is located under frame and close to shocks is the plug in for techs it is about 1 1/2 in wide. battery tender is narrow and up higher.

9. Whiterook

Whiterook Member

That's it.
    Thanks!!

10. 59Panhead

59Panhead Member

Yep sounds like a plug for a Battery charger / Tender 2 Me ! trace it to where it goes!

Riding your Bike is Fun! Knowing how everything works and understanding it is Better!