free website stats program What Brand Bike Did You Ride Prior to HD? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

What Brand Bike Did You Ride Prior to HD?

Technically, my first bike was a bicycle...:) But as for motorcycles, a Suzuki DRZ 200, then a Suzuki DRZ 650. Then the deuce.

Richard, here's a story that will make you cringe.....:D My father & his brother had a towing service & recycling yard. Way back when, people would drive there cars in and sell them for scrap. My dad & uncle would work late to chop these cars up by hand with matics. (So we could eat) Ouch! It didn't matter what kind of car, '57 chevy's, '40 fords, at the time they were worth more as scrap.

I once asked my dad why they didn't just keep one of every type of car & scrap the rest, (dad & his brother have always liked cars for collecting). The response was 'We would have went broke & gone out of business'. :D I guess that's business for you.

I can't go to a car show with my dad with out hearing him or his brother say, 'I chopped up a car in better condition than that and sold it for scrap'. Funny part is, sometimes they say that about one of their own. :)

Man, that really hurts Joy...one can only imagine how many recoverable vehicles passing thru the doors got crushed...then add how many units survive for every 100,000 vehicles manufactured per year and number of auto "processor" metal scrappers...! :(

1st- 60`s era 80cc suzuki
73 - 175cc kawasaki dirt
75- 250cc kawasaki dirt
80- 650cc yamaha custom
83- 920cc virago sold - 97
4 kids & new business
2004 1100cc virago -- crap compared to 920
2009 - ultra classic
- went from ontario.ca to vancover island in 83
then florida in 84 - on 920
- with ultra 11,600. km in 2 1/2 months - love the ultra
always loved the harley`s since I was a kid just finally got into the
price range

My last three were Yamaha 1100, HD Road King and HD Road Glide

Attachments

• yam.jpg
    yam.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 12
  • king.jpg
    king.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 11
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
My first bike was a Maico. Not a modern type dirt bike, but one that had about 200cc an enclosed chain. I don't know the model. It was a hand me down from my brother. I was about 16 or 17. It quit running and I traded it for a scooter, that was a Cushman Eagle. It was a scooter that had a tank you straddled. It was finicky to start but it would go about 60 mph with the wind.Then I went in the service and my dad cleaned out the garage and I don't know what happened to those bikes. I bought a 58 Sportster model H from a guy that was transferring PCS to someplace and I rode that bike about 4 years. It made me learn about keeping a Harley going, since it was already pretty used and neglected when I got it and it never did get much better than that, but I learned a lot. Especially when it caught fire while I was riding it. I felt the heat and looked down and I was on fire. The fuel line had cracked and I guess a spark plug lit it up. That taught me how to get stopped pretty danged fast. I was luck that someone pulled up and had a small fire extinguisher and we got it put out. I had it towed home and got it fixed up pretty well, but I had to paint the tank with a spray can and it looked really bad. My early biking years for the most part was a disaster in one way or another. :wall

1984 Honda Shadow 500--bought when I went into the military, didn't have a car just a bike
1985 Honda Shadow 700
1982 Kawasaki KZ 1000j--thrilling bike to ride

Had to wait a long time but I'm glad to have the bike I always coveted.

Honda 70 back in 5th grade than a couple of dirt bikes, moved up to a Triumph 650 bonni. that we chopped out, later on Yamaha 750 maxum, Kaw Vulcan 1500,Than 1 day a friend let ride his H-D and I was hooked, bought a new 03 RKC, traded up to a 08 Ultra Classic, than last yr after missing the ride of the Roadking added a new 09 to the family

1969 2 1/2 HP Ruttman Mini Bike
1971 3 1/2 HP Broncco Mini Bike
1972 Honda SL 175
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000
1974 HD XLH Sportster
1982 Kawasaki KDX 450
1981 HD SuperGlide FXE
1977 HD XLH Sportster (Still have with 6,700 Original Miles)
2009 HD Ultra Classic

Like a few others, always loved the Sportster ever since I was a little kid. Now I Donkey Kong the thing and thats why the 1977 only has 6,700 miles on it. Never ride it now. Great memories on every one of them. Wish I still had all of them.:small3d023:

Back