Weather Alerts

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Bob_Kikkert, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Bob_Kikkert

Bob_Kikkert Member

I may be travelling in the southern US next year during tornado season and I would like to know how the weather alert system functions in the US. Are the broadcasts federal or are they state by state? If I keep my Ultra radio on weather alert, will I receive the alerts no matter where I am?

I confess that I have not explored all the functions of my radio yet and I would appreciate any feedback on how best to use the weather bands and the weather alerts.

2. Coyote5

Coyote5 Member

Once you start touring you become your own weatherman very soon. Although I like the weather channels on my bike, the problem I find using it is it gives me the weather near the location I'm right now, not what I'll be running into further down the road.

I routinely bike back and forth from Kentucky and New Jersey (approx. 800 miles one way). I have a choice of either a northern or southern route to take. I normally check key points of travel on my laptop before I take off to see if there is bad weather for example in West Virginia or the Ohio route. That determines which direction I then take.

Since you'll be touring during tornado season, I'd suggest that you take the weather spotter course given by the National Weather Service (NWS). It's been a long time since I took it, but I think it's invalluable if you're going to do a lot of cross country riding. They do cover tornados and it'll teach what to look for and how a tornado develops. Just google 'weater spotter' and you should get a link to the NWS page that tells you where and how you can get trained.

Happy riding!

3. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

NOAA weather radio is pretty reliable if you don't have internet access. I use the cell phone to check weather, I use a couple of different sights. I like Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground for the radar, but I like Hang Gliding * Paragliding * Skydiving * Ultralight * Aviation Resources * Airsports Net for the forecast. Plus, you always have looking out the window..:s. Some areas (Ohio for example) use sirens for tornado warnings and such. They test them the 1st Wed. of each month here at noon. Good luck.