free website stats program Voting causes engine trouble :-) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voting causes engine trouble :-)

muscle memory seldom hear that term except in marksman ship training.

All that happen here is you just proved computer (ECM) are not prefect.
You stated the bike rode short way on a cool day shut it off it cooled a bit .
You came out hit the start it miss read temp and amount of fuel to give you.
yea flooded a bit. If it ever happens again turn it off with key.
turn back on give it a few seconds hit starter and ride
I think Smitty's right. There have been times when my bike wouldn't start on the first try. When that happens I shut the switch off, turn it back on and let the ECM recycle. When I have tried to re-hit the starter without letting the Computor re-cycle, it seems to me it had to grind awhile before it started up.
I never use the kill switch except for killing the bike while in gear to hold it on a hill while parked. I've seen too many guys kill their bike with it and walk away, leaving the lights on and forgetting all about locking up. But that's just me.

Dr. D: We're definitely on the same page. I didn't see your post before I submitted mine. Some days I'm multi tasking and newer responses get posted before I get a chance to see them. On another forum the argument was made that you should only use the ignition switch to prevent accidentally leaving the bike on and running down the battery. Everybody has done it but the fact that members are making that argument makes me a little uncomfortable.

Taking the chance of accidentally running your battery down vs. being able to react appropriately in an emergency. Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

I can definitely see the argument about running the battery down. You just have to develop a routine and never vary from it, no matter how good looking the distractions around you are! :s I never put the jiffy stand down until I've put the run switch to the off position AND turned the ignition off. Once that jiffy stand is down, you're primarily thinking about getting off and it's easy to forget things like the ignition.

Dr. D: We're definitely on the same page. I didn't see your post before I submitted mine. Some days I'm multi tasking and newer responses get posted before I get a chance to see them. On another forum the argument was made that you should only use the ignition switch to prevent accidentally leaving the bike on and running down the battery. Everybody has done it but the fact that members are making that argument makes me a little uncomfortable.

Taking the chance of accidentally running your battery down vs. being able to react appropriately in an emergency. Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.
I've been sittin here pondering what emergency situation could I get into that would cause me to use the kill switch.........The only thing I could come up with is a situation where the throttle locks. On some of the older motors they didn't have a tilt kill so it might come in mighty handy for them too, specially if the bikes on top of ya and the drive chain is gnawing your leg off . Can anybody think of another situation where the Kill switch would come in handy? I'm just wondering cuz I'm thnkin I should be using it and I don't.

Last edited:
Can anybody think of another situation where the Kill switch would come in handy? I'm just wondering cuz I'm thnkin I should be using it and I don't.

In addition to what Smitty said - when the throttle-by-wire first came out, there were all sorts of stories about it hanging up wide open and causing horrible accidents. Not sure how many, if any, were true. Just seems like a good idea to be able to shut off the motor without even having to look down, with a very minor thumb movement.

FI will flood same as a carb .. if you crank throttle wide open it shoudl put it in clear flood mode and shut off fuel crank and soon as it lights off let throttle go

And doc i remember the stuck wide open etc claims .. i never had it happen how about you ?

The only legitimate problem I remember about the TBW bikes is thumbing the kill switch with the throttle held partially open.

There's no need to wait for the CEL to go out before cranking. Do you do this in any other vehicles you own? If so, you don't need to.

The kill switch is merely an immediately-accessible way of killing the engine. It matters little whether you never use it or use only it. Just make sure you release the throttle before doing it if that's your usual method of shutting down a TBW bike.

The only legitimate problem I remember about the TBW bikes is thumbing the kill switch with the throttle held partially open.

There's no need to wait for the CEL to go out before cranking. Do you do this in any other vehicles you own? If so, you don't need to.

The kill switch is merely an immediately-accessible way of killing the engine. It matters little whether you never use it or use only it. Just make sure you release the throttle before doing it if that's your usual method of shutting down a TBW bike.

and if ya have a 08 go get the TBW download which keeps ecm alive longer even after you turn off the kill switch so there is less of a chance of the high idle they resync your TBW and the servo at the throttle body also

And doc i remember the stuck wide open etc claims .. i never had it happen how about you ?

Never had it happen, never knew anyone that had it happen. Only read a bunch of horrifying posts on another harley forum I used to spend a lot of time on - before I found this one! :D

and if ya have a 08 go get the TBW download which keeps ecm alive longer even after you turn off the kill switch so there is less of a chance of the high idle they resync your TBW and the servo at the throttle body also

I have an '08 and I haven't gotten the download you mention. But then, I always have the throttle closed when I hit the kill switch so I haven't encountered this problem the download solves. Since I avoid the dealer's service department like the plague, I don't know when I'll have the opportunity to get it done. Probably make sure I get it done before the warranty runs out in February.

Back