free website stats program volume problem | Harley Davidson Forums

volume problem

Have an 06 UC with the stock HK radio. Problem is when increasing the volume, once I reach halfway the volume does not increase any more. The number of bars increase on the display, but the sound does not get any louder than what is at the half way point.
Any suggestions?

Have you changed out the speakers by chance to a different ohm value. Example, they were 4 ohm from the factory and now they are six ohm? Also, once the speakers reach max volume, if you increase the level (bars), does the sound get distorted.

no, have not changed out speakers, they are original as far as I can tell. No, there is not any change in distortion, the volume increases until you reach the halfway point, then no more increase in volume..even though the display shows there is half more volume to go. The bars increase but no increase in volume.

Has it always done it or is it something new. In reality, once the volume reaches a max, any added control volume position should force the amp to clip and produce distortion. I have read that firmware upgrades are common and easy to do.

I would make sure I had the latest firmware loaded to the radio before I did anything hardware wise because a firmware issue could cause that.
Others will chime in, I am sure.

If you want to try a software upgrade, go to the HD website and type 'Harmon Kardon' in the search box, then find the upgrade instructions to burn a disc. The only trick to it is to burn the disc at the slowest possible speed your computer will burn one. You can look in the forums help section, there's several articles. I don't think the upgrade deals with volume problems, but might be worth trying.

Back