free website stats program voes and timing question | Harley Davidson Forums

voes and timing question

macmic87

have a 1999 fatboy with evo and a s&s carb. I have already modified the petcock so the need for vacuum is gone. I went to check timing and found the plate is already advanced as far as the slots will let it. so that lead me to the testing of the voes. will they hold a vacuum if in good operating condition? mine is broke and won't hold any vacuum. will I be missing out on any performance or economy if I leave it this way? should I just replace the voes or are there any aftermarket ignition systems that eliminate the need for a voes?

thanks

the VOES advances your timing after about 2k rpm or 5-7 #'s vacuum. IF your timing plate is at max then you are probably running to far adv. all the time, even at idle.
There are after Mkt. set ups to run w/ or w/o a Voes. They have a switch built on them to control that option.Unless you are running a hopped motor or you Ign. module is out I would stay with stock and replace the VOES. Yes it will hold a vacuum if not broken. If yours is cracked and won't hold a vacuum then you bike is probably running poorly due to vacuum leak.
tourbox

thanks for confirming what I was thinking about this. bike runs ok but I think it could be better with a new voes and adjusting timing where it needs to be.

An easy way for me to do the timing is to drain the primary, remove inspection cover on primary. Remove the timing plug from the engine cases and rotate back tire(in 5th.) to line up your Adv. timing mark. I believe it should be a DOT, ck. your manual. At that point I mark a straight line on the Rotor to the inner primary. Clean of all oil of course. I use a White marking pen for labeling parts with. Replace the timing plug on engine cases. Set the timing with Timing Light, rpms. must be about 2K or better.
If you use the timing plug then oil & air pressure comes out rapidly and gets quite messy. If you don't drain the primary it can get messy also. I helps to have a buddy on one side of the bike while you are on the other. Loosen the cam sensor plate and rotate to line up your marks on the rotor and inner primary.
tourbox

Back