free website stats program Vibration in Rear while Braking | Harley Davidson Forums

Vibration in Rear while Braking

Paule253

2011 Road King 7500 miles....I am experiencing a vibration that is felt throughout the complete bike, from the handlebars to the seat. I experience this problem only when I first start my ride, while the bike has not gone more then a few hundred feet. The vibration increases when riding two-up. It only occures when the rear brake in used (no front brake). It is not the Antilock braking system. I know what that is and it is not the same. (No vibration of the foot brake, which occures durnig the engagement of the antilock system). This problem disappears when I make a few rear brake stops. I brought the bike into my local HD dealer and he checked the rear brake rotor for wrap, brake liner for wear, rear wheel bearings, drive belt and shocks. No problems found. Stated it was not a safety problem. Not his bike, so I do not know if he really cares. If you know of anyone who has experenced the same problem, please inform me. I am trying to find the cause of the problem before I contact The Motor Company. I have had a previous problem with another Harley I owned. And the manufacture does not really do a good job taking care of problems without you knowing what is causing it.

If you pump the brake peddle does the vibration go away?

Paule welcome to the forum.

A few questions for you:
1. Which wheels do you have, spokes or aluminum.
2. Have you replaced the rear tire or still running the original?
3. What method was used to balance your tires, Weights or Dyna Beads?
4. Is this something that just started or slowly getting worse?
5. Any recent mods or work done that may be contributing to the issue?

I have no answers but plenty of questions that may help get a few ideas from the members here :D

Have the dealer check the master cylinder, I bet it is bad and causing the brakes to stick on, they can also scan the ABS to be sure it is working correctly before it sets a code this should be a warranty issue and I would not accept the bike back until it is repaired

I had that EXACT same problem with my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Only when applying the rear brake and only on the first or second application. The rest of the day it was fine. Really shook the whole bike. Naturally the dealer couldnt duplicate the problem. Mine seemed to happen after I had the brake recall done. Took it back and they re-bled the brakes, but the problem never went away. That along with the head shake, cupped tires, neutral rattle, lifter knock on cold startup and a warped inner fairing made me sell the bike. Of all the Harleys I owned this one was the worst. Quality really went downhill. Might be a while before I buy a new one again.

..... I experience this problem only when I first start my ride, while the bike has not gone more then a few hundred feet....

....I had that EXACT same problem with my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Only when applying the rear brake and only on the first or second application.....

First thing is you need to make sure the dealer/tech can duplicate the concern, without "feeling/knowing" what happens, they will not be able to find or know where to look for. I'd drop the bike for them to keep it over night and let them test ride it first thing in the next day, explain all the detail to them of how and when to make it happen, get the service manager/shop foreman involve and see what they comes up with.

..... I experience this problem only when I first start my ride, while the bike has not gone more then a few hundred feet....

....I had that EXACT same problem with my 2011 Road Glide Ultra. Only when applying the rear brake and only on the first or second application.....

First thing is you need to make sure the dealer/tech can duplicate the concern, without "feeling/knowing" what happens, they will not be able to find or know where to look for. I'd drop the bike for them to keep it over night and let them test ride it first thing in the next day, explain all the detail to them of how and when to make it happen, get the service manager/shop foreman involve and see what they comes up with.

Or sell it and vow never to buy an overpriced, under engineered, non waranty honoring MOCO product ever again

Or sell it and vow never to buy an overpriced, under engineered, non waranty honoring MOCO product ever again

Agree I am almost there also. Lifters , Brakes , Primary noise, Vibrations. $23,000.00 for a pretty piece of junk. If you like to ride I think it's time for a BMW or Goldwing. Been ridding Harleys for 25 years I am getting tired of working on them more than I ride them.

I also am seeing this issue on my 2012 Ultra Limited with about 6500 miles.

A few answers for you:
1. Which wheels do you have, spokes or aluminum. Aluminum
2. Have you replaced the rear tire or still running the original? Original
3. What method was used to balance your tires, Weights or Dyna Beads? Weights
4. Is this something that just started or slowly getting worse? Noticed about 7 rides ago, just started worrying now. Daily rider.
5. Any recent mods or work done that may be contributing to the issue? I do like to carry a lot of stuff, and I am a good sized boy so run close to max weight most the time.
6. Pumping the breaks does not seem to have any affect.

Anything else to suggest before bringing it in?

I have a question. I have been thinking of moving up to a roadking and have been hearing problems with vibration and noise from primary and lifters. Is the noise the same that has always been there or something new with 2011 and 2012? Is the vibration new and does anybody know where its comming from? I have a 2010 FXDC and have had it since new. Have not had any problems with it except wheel bearings at 15000. Front and rear.

=================================================

What is the head shake? First I have ever heard of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back