free website stats program Vehicle Speed Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

Vehicle Speed Sensor

HDSTClassic

I have a 2013 Heritage Softail Classic 103 with 13K miles. The speedometer, odometer won't work, gear indicator won't show up, turn signals won't cancel out and the engine stalls when coming to a stop. I checked the code and it shows none. I haven't pulled the speed sensor yet.
Any suggestions?

Have you checked battery voltage while at idle and at a higher rpm?

No I haven't, never had any issues with the battery. I'm going to pull the sensor out today and see if it's clogged with metal shavings. From all of the symptoms that it has, everything I've read says it's the sensor, but there's no code stored.

I tried to slide the splash guard up and over the tire, but there are tabs sticking out on both top sides of it that come in contact with the fender. How do I get the splash guard removed?
Is the sensor removed from behind the splash guard?
If so, there's a square module that slips into a bracket, I'm guessing the bracket has to be removed as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
The VSS is on top of the tranny near the neutral switch. It is to the rear of the chrome top cover on the tranny. It may be covered up somewhat by the starter. Should only have 1 wire off it with an allen screw holding it in. Twist & wiggle to get it out , it has an o-ring on it. You shouldn't have to mess with the back tire.
tourbox

I know where it's at, the problem is getting the shield to slide up over the tire. It has a tap on both sides that hit the fender.

Here's how to get to it. I can't slide the splash guard up over the tire.

The top of the splash guard loops over the top rail of the swing arm. Your video was of an'09 . the p/n for the guard is different on the '13. Maybe attaches different. If nothing else pull your back tire for better vision. Or if you have the room pull the starter, only 2 bolts and battery cable.
tourbox

Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to find a video for 2013. I used a floor jack to raise the rear of the bike and pulled the guard down. It was a piece of cake after that. Replaced he sensor and everything works now.
On another note, When I bought the sensor at the dealer, I ask if I could talk to a tech while at the parts counter. He said sure, just go on back and talk to them. The kid that was behind the service desk said they were all busy and he could help. Told him I didn't think so. He thought he knew everything so I asked him what I wanted to ask the tech. His reply was to buy the manual. Just like I figured he'd say. He went on saying different scenarios, which didn't apply to the sensor. I was going to make an (EDIT) out of him, but decided just to walk away. We spend hard earned money on these bikes and some of us prefer to save the $85 an hour labor and do it ourselves. One would think that after spending that much on these bikes we could at least be able to talk to a tech. Guess they don't like it when they don't get all of our money. They wanted $85 to diagnose it by pulling the codes. Problem is, is that it never stored a code.
hanks for forums like this, I was able to find out what was wrong with it. Mow if I could find out where this whirring noise is coming from. Checked the primary, but it's not coming from there. I did talk to a tech previously and he said that every Harley makes it's own sound. But this noise comes and goes. I'll keep digging till I find it. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine. Possibly the fuel pump.

Good deal, thanks for the update. Chasing a noise can be somewhat of a challenge, sounds travel and can be coming from a completely different area from where you think it is.

If you hear the "whirring" sound, and only when bike is moving, it could most likely be coming from a bad front wheel bearing. Raise the front wheel off the ground, grab the wheel at 12:00 & 6:00 and try to wiggle it towards and away from you. Spin the wheel 1/4 rotation and do the same test. If there is no play in the wheel, I suggest double-checking your tire air pressure. Hopefully, it's one of these culprits inducing the "whir", and not the tranny or cam-chest.

Back