free website stats program Vance & Hines Straight Shots? | Harley Davidson Forums

Vance & Hines Straight Shots?

janfromnam

Just installed the straight shots on my 2011 Dyna Streetbob, man they are loud!

Is there anything else I need to do or install? Read somewhere that they can lead the bike to run a bit lean.

Do I need to worry about this or not?

Oh this is my first post got the bike as a graduation gift from myself last year December and really like it, I'm from Windhoek in Namibia in Africa.

Thanks

re: Vance & Hines Straight Shots?

If it's injected and that's the only change you made then no you don't have to do anything else. The onboard computer will make the fuel adjustment for you.

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota USA.

I've had Krome 3" that were to loud for me, then Rush 2", then Rush 1.5". They all ran great. The 3" and 2" had alittle more take off power than the 1.5" Rush. I read somewhere in here that if you ran it up alittle hard and then let off on the throttle quick I'd say in 3rd or 4th gear and it doesn't back fire badly your fine. I have done this with all 3 pipes. The 3" and 2" did pop some not bad thow. the 1.5" not at all. Also check your plugs after 100 miles or so, or after a 30 to 40 trip down the hwy. They should look clean and a powdery white ash on them. Maybe a slight brown color. Check the pics in the manual for plug pics. If there good your good. I did have a dealer tell me as long as the baffle is 2" or less your good. But like I said the 3" seemed fine.

Just installed the straight shots on my 2011 Dyna Streetbob, man they are loud!

Is there anything else I need to do or install? Read somewhere that they can lead the bike to run a bit lean.

Do I need to worry about this or not? . . . . .

jsklari is correct, ECU will (to the degree it's VE can compensate) correct better than an Carb. It will adjust the idle, cruise and no load ranges of operation via the closed loop data. During open loop acceleration and loads, it will also "attempt" to correct the mix via data from the MAP sensor, TPS sensor and ION sensing. If you add more air with a larger AC filter the ECU would still "attempt" to correct but it's VE tables are not designed for that VE scenario.

The thing you want to be aware of is the OEM tables are EPA Lean to start with (pipes or no pipes) and your bike will run hotter than if you added a tuner or a richener like the TFI. Something to think about, especially if you ride in hotter climates.

Also you may get tired of that brutal loudness (or the folks riding behind you might first). I have V&H's Big Shots and after about a yr of that Blap Blap sound I put in the quiet baffles. Not really that much quieter, but just a more mellow lower frequency that is easier on the ears for sustained high speed riding. My ears are about gone anyhow so I love the quiet baffles.

You will want to do the something like the fuel pack from V&H is one of the cheaper models if you want it adjustable depending on what you plan on doing later or if you plan on riding at different heights above sea level you may consider one of the self adjusting models although those will run a bit higher around the 600 dollar range! But its the best option in my mind! go cheap now and it may costing you more in the long range especially depending on the unknown future mods that you have not thought of

Thanks for everyones input, have decided in the meantime to remove the straight shots and put the stock exhaust back till I can add a tuner or a richener as I'm 5300ft above sea level and I did notice the bike was running a bit hotter and did backfire occasionally.

Did notice that when I reinstalled the stock system that the exhaust has a catalytic converter of some sort in it.

Also my 3 year old daughter, really didn't liked the sound of the V&H asked me if the "scooter" as she likes to call it was sick.

Those V&H S--- Shot pipes are definitely loud (installed Shorties on my former XL1200C) and you can adjust a/f mix on carb bike, but not on your EFI Bob w/o tuner, or re-map. Would running the bike a tad leaner hurt anything....maybe, but good call removing until you can get right parts for making adjustments later. Nothing worse than siezing something in the motor while riding down the hwy...:(

I know this is a older thread but they do make a quiet baffles for those V&H pipes

Tryed posting a link, but cant cause im new but google: Vance & Hines Quiet Baffle for Staggered Duals Exhaust System - 21869

Back