free website stats program vance and hines shortshots? | Harley Davidson Forums

vance and hines shortshots?

Hooter

i bought the new black shortshots for 2007 softails. i had been told to stay away from these pipes before but because these are the new style (with oxygen sensor place) i thought they must be improved. firstly they looked fantastic and sounded great but i lost 20 % power from stock pipes. i bought the vance and hines baffles. this made the pipes sound even better but these pipes will always let you down. on the dyno machine the reading is 79 but standered bike is 92:cry:newsmile077:
many pro harley garages have all said they are not happy with shortshot staggered,new and old style and shortshots not staggered are worse!!!

i bought the new black shortshots for 2007 softails. i had been told to stay away from these pipes before but because these are the new style (with oxygen sensor place) i thought they must be improved. firstly they looked fantastic and sounded great but i lost 20 % power from stock pipes. i bought the vance and hines baffles. this made the pipes sound even better but these pipes will always let you down. on the dyno machine the reading is 79 but standered bike is 92:cry:newsmile077:
many pro harley garages have all said they are not happy with shortshot staggered,new and old style and shortshots not staggered are worse!!!

Ever thought of trying the old drag pipe butterfly trick in the end of the pipe to regain the torque?

ohhh yes i took bike from 60 mph to 120 mph (this is only on the bike clock and will be out a bit) when setting bike up but was always too lean so very bad for bike. when the sun comes out its okay but as soon as it gets a bit colder there will be MASSIVE ENGINE DAMAGE AAAAAAARRRGH. my clever garage friend who has got more knowledge than me has tried in vain to set these up. at the end of the day if truth be known its because i was trying to do a stage 1 tune with very little money. shortshots are the cheapest pipes i could find.

i have not heard of the butterfly trick. i new i should have got my computer fixed quicker!!! YOU ARE ALL A GREAT HELP AS ALWAYS. I have taken shortshots off with the intention of doing something else (factory pipes are on but i am not riding it at moment) i will try this butterfly trick but each dyno test is money spent so i may chicken out. Theres hope for me yet me finx!!!

on the sportsters, the short shots are pretty good pipes. they do take away a little on torque but the trade off with the look and sound is worth it. But, on a softail... i think that they make the bike sound like a hopped up lawnmower. They will make you loose power every time, thats just the nature of the really short pioes. if you are looking for something short that is reasonabily priced, sounds great and produces good power, i would go with python slash cut staggered pipes. i think these are great and they sound excellent! they have a hidden crossover that gives an effect similar to a 2-1 system.

DANG glider i hadn't seen those since you could buy them at an old triumph shop since 1972.:57::worthy

Out of curiosity, did you change the air cleaner and computer? I have an 08 Night Train with the same pipes. I can't say I noticed a difference in power at all, but it sounded so much better!!

By the way Glider, is that just a 1/4" eye bolt?

Back