USS Yosemite

Discussion in 'Patriot Guard Missions' started by Redfish-Joe, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Didn't know where to put this but I just found out one of the ships I served on was decommissioned and sank in 03.

Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons

Secretary of the Navy Letter of Commendation (2)
    Top Row - Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
    Second Row - Navy Battle "E" Ribbon (6) - Navy Expeditionary Medal (1-Cuba, 3JAN61-3OCT62) - American Campaign Medal
    Third Row - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal - Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia clasp)
    Fourth Row - National Defense Service Medal (3) - Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (1-Cuba, 24OCT62-31DEC62) - Southwest Asia Service Medal
    Fifth Row - Sea Service Deployment Ribbon - Philippines Liberation Medal - Kuwait Liberation Medal, Kuwait

Dixie Class Destroyer Tender:
    Laid down, 19 January 1942, at Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, FL.
    Launched, 16 May 1943
    Commissioned USS Yosemite (AD-19), 26 March 1944, CAPT. George C. Towner in command
    Decommissioned, 27 January 1994, at US Naval Station Mayport, FL., and simultaneously struck from the Naval Register
    Laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James, River, Fort Eustis, VA.
    Final Disposition, sunk as a target, 18 November 2003 at location 35-54N7 070-04W, at a depth of 2340 fathoms

Attached Files:

2. blademan

blademan Active Member

Hey Joe, Us Sailors off the Cascade didn't think the YO-YO could get off the coffee grounds that she was sitting on in Newport.

3. mopar

mopar Member

First ship I served on. TAD between MM "A" school and Nuke school. Mayport during the Summer of 1972. Mayport was good duty.

4. robermv32

robermv32 Active Member

Somehow it feels a loss when you learn that something that was so much a part of your youth is gone. I empathize with you as I too have a memory of a ship now gone.

[​IMG]

USS Francis Scott Key

[​IMG]

Here she is in dry dock along side another boat beginning the scrapping process

[​IMG]

They've been cutting her up and now she' in the final stages of her life

I spent some of the best times of my life aboard this boat. Many good memories and although the boat is gone, those memories last a lifetime.

5. Redfish-Joe

yes it was!!!

6. Redfish-Joe

Hey she did pretty good! She came to Naples and relieved your sorry butts. LOL

7. blademan

blademan Active Member

Your right, and she also stole our cruise to Mardi Gras. Sorry to see her go, Cascade was sold for scrap way back in '75. If you remember Zellars
    DD777 she had a worse fate, sold to IRAN and became this ISS IBAR.

8. Redfish-Joe

Got sent back stateside before that. Just before I shipped out they were talking about 2 weeks R & R in France. Got back to Mayport, reported to the Grand Canyon. Would rather been in France. LOL