free website stats program Using Locktite | Harley Davidson Forums

Using Locktite

Zamadan

Read the threads on the proper types of Locktite to use. Just put on my Billeted shift pegs and brake lever. Used 242 for the bolts and on the bolts for the floorboards when I re-installed them.

I noticed these bolts did not have any locktite on from factory. Should I be using it then. Plus would it be a good idea to put it on the phillips holding the seat down, this screw looks like it can loosen off.

The blue can be used on those parts mentioned. It's removable with a wrench and the purpose is mostly to keep things from vibrating off that could be removed at times. The red is more of a permanent solution for something that doesn't get removed like rotor bolts/pulley bolts etc. and for safety purposes too.

I agree totally with Glider I use the Blue on nearl everything with the exception of bolts that you dont intend on removing very often.

I've used the blue on footpegs and other chassis parts. Recently I've put it on my primary bolts. Not 100% on if that is the right thing to do? How does locktite do on parts that get hot? Am I asking for grief down the road, or am I OK??

Shouldn't be looking for any problems but I have never used it on the primary cover bolts myself.Never had one loosen up on me.

Shouldn't be looking for any problems but I have never used it on the primary cover bolts myself.Never had one loosen up on me.
A couple of my primary bolts were seized last time I changed my primary oil. I figured the locktite would prevent them from seizing again.
Thanks for the reassurance Glider.

The problem comes from steel bolts into an aluminum housing. Many use anti seize on the bolts instead of locktite and torque them to specs.:s

A couple of my primary bolts were seized last time I changed my primary oil. I figured the locktite would prevent them from seizing again.
Thanks for the reassurance Glider.

A quick once over with a wire brush,just enough to take the fuzz off, and then some anti-seize on the bolts,clean out the holes with a shop-vac or blow them out (if you can). Sometimes aluminum has a tendacy to "cake" on the steel with the heating/cooling of the unit.

I got this off the Locktite site - hope it helps

Loctite 222 - Low Strength (LOC-22221)

Use Loctite 222 where occasional adjustments of small fasteners may be required. Small hand tools can be used to overcome the adhesive seal. Best for 1/4” and smaller fasteners. Temp. range: -65º to 300ºF (-54º to 149ºC).

Loctite 242 - Medium Strength (LOC-24221, LOC-24231)

Make ordinary nuts vibration-proof! Loctite 242 holds bolts and cap screws securely, while sealing out air and moisture, thus preventing wear and corrosion. Nuts can be removed with ordinary hand tools. Temp. range: -65º to 300ºF (-54º to 149ºC).

Loctite 262 - High Strength (LOC-26221)

helps you permanently anchor studs, cylindrical parts, bearings and bushings. Replace shaft locking devices such as keyways and splines. Provides greater break-loose torque than Class 5 Interference fits. Seals against leakage and corrosion; unaffected by liquid fuels, lubricants and most chemicals. Temp. range: -65º to 300ºF (-54º to 149ºC).

Loctite 271 - High Strength (LOC-27131)

High strength adhesive for larger fasteners up to 1" in diameter. It is used with marine engine studs, automotive suspension bolts, pump fasteners and with other heavy duty bolt applications. Temp. range: -65º to 300ºF (-54º to 149ºC).

Loctite 290 - Medium Strength (LOC-29021)

This capillary sealant locks and seals fasteners without disassembly. Loctite 290 uses a "wicking" action to penetrate invisible spaces and pores, then hardens into a solvent-resistant structural seal. Makes adjustment screws and set screws tamper-proof. Temp. range : -65º to 300ºF (-54º to 149ºC).
• Recommended Primer : Loctite 7649

Back