free website stats program Ultra Classic injectors | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Classic injectors

jbshannon

I have an '06 Ultra Classic. Installed a Stage 1 kit and Hooker slip on pipes when I bought it in Eugene, Oregon. My riding buddy bought a Road King at the same time but stayed with the 88ci but had the same pipes installed. I have since moved to Tennessee and have my work done at Appleton's HD in Clarksville. They have been great to work with.
We were both having issues with sluggish take offs and hesitation when acclerating, his worse than mine. He had to pull into a shop in Missoula, Mt last year while returning from Sturgis back to Oregon because of this problem and discovered that there was an issue with the stock 8 degree injectors and they were being replaced with 25 degree on an as neeeded basis by HD if under warranty but only those that came in the shop with that problem. No service bulletion has been issued from HD to date. Once he told me he was having this issue I decided to be proactive and have the dealer check it out when I took my bike in for a 20K service. I was out of warranty and didn't have an extended but my dealer has a program for guys like me and they took care of it completey for which I am grateful. My question is that the dealer in Eugene told my buddy he had to remap his engine no matter what and charged him $149.00 to do it but my dealer never mentioned that it was needed when I picked up my bike and it runs great. Did he get hosed by the dealer ( Doyle's HD ) in Eugene for unnecessary work or should I have also had this done. My bike was remapped in the beginning because of the Stage 1 kit and slip on pipe installation. He thinks he got ripped. Anyone know the truth??

Happy trails

The issues you are both having seem fuel based. I am glad that you had your system remapped after the stage 1 upgrades, but HD maps are still going to be lean. The injectors might help, but you may want to consider adding a user friendly fuel manager that allows you to tweak the settings to get what you want from the bike. This will be a benefit to you (and your buddy) if you decide to up-grade the cam shafts chain drive system and go in with different cams.

Check the info on fuel managers here:

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

He thinks he got ripped. Anyone know the truth??

Happy trails

Based on what Glider linked on the self help page, I would say "yes he did". Armed with that bulletin, he might be able to have a friendly discussion with his Service Manager.

TQ

I bought my 06 Ultra Classic used and it was also out of warranty. After reading about the fuel injector problem I called HD customer service and asked for a good will gesture. I was told to bring the bike to the dealer and perhaps something might be done. When I picked the bike up I was told there would be no charge. Service manager said that if any modifications were done to the bike they would have charged me for the download.

New injectors made a big difference.

Back