free website stats program Ultima narrow body adjustable softail shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultima narrow body adjustable softail shocks

Piotra

Hello
I have a question abort shocks. I have in my custom bike Ultima narrow body adjustable softail shocks:
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/NarrowBodyShocks.pdf

I bought them because they were thin, adjustable and not expensive. After mounting I lowered a bike about half inch (they are adjustable) and they were very unshockable. When I seated a bike fast, all body mass, the bike did not lower, maybe a little bit. After about 40-50 miles of riding the shocks became soft and the bike lowered about ½-3/4 inch more. Now when I catch fender struts I can move the bike up and down very easily, about 1 inch or more. And then it sounds like old spring bed :-( Tomorrow I will put the bike on the lift and will remove the shock to inspect them. But let me know what do you think about it. When you try to press on fender of stock Harley softail by hands, is it lowering or not?

Best regards, Piotr

I have stock shocks on my 92 softail if i press down on the rear fender with 1 hand the suspension will drop between 1/3" and 1/2" that was trying to hold a ruler against the rear wheel
My bike has a bobtail fender and that amount of movement was measured about 4" from the rear of the fender

Brian

have had them on mine for over 2years with no problems.

If it would be possible can you take a photo of these ultima softail shocks under a bike? I will take also picture of my shocks, so than I will compare how they are set.

I took some pictures, tomorrow I will post them (it's on my friend's camera), so you can tell me if it looks similar at your bike.

This is a picture of shocks installed on my bike. Sorry for the quality but it really hard to take sharp picture under a bike. But I think everybody will see what is on the picture. There are two ultima narrow body shocks. Can You look under a bike and tell be two dimensions.
I’m asking about the dimensions measured when the bike is just standing on jiffy without driver or passenger. First the distance between adjusting locknut (1) and locknut (2) – distance A. And a distance between locknut (2) and the body of shock (3) – distance B. You do not have to measure it very precisely, just about.
Also can you tell me for what is the locknut (2)? Is it for any setting, I never adjusted it.

Thanks in advance, Piotr

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 45
I think that I found the reason why the shocks didn't work correctly. It would be my fault.
The shocks comes with thick spacers, like on this picture:
http://www.jmarcustoms.com/sc_images/products/1839_large_image.jpg

Stock harley softail shock bolts comes with washers:
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/photos/DS-310125.jpg

So the question is, during assembly should I use ultima spacers and washers for bolts together? I removed shocks and made two pictures, first with spacer and washer and the second one only with spacer. If I do not use washers, just spacers there is the shoulder which cause some end play. If I use washer and spacer there is no end play and the shocks are tight, the spacers can’t spin. I mounted shocks with spacers and washers and I think it was not correct.
So, only spacers or washers and spacers?

Attachments

• shock1.jpg
    shock1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
  • shock2.jpg
    shock2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 28
Back