free website stats program twincam 88 starter | Harley Davidson Forums

twincam 88 starter

Fearless1

I recently had to change out my starter (99 roadking) and to get it from harley it was big bucks so here is a little tip I was turned on to by my mechanic friend. Go purchase a starter for a 86 toyota celica single overhead cam (22r motor) and swap out the nose cone and you now have a heavyduty starter for your harley at about half the cost.

I think what your referring to is the Nissen starter drive/clutch compatible with Japanese imports and domestic GM products that Glider posted awhile back. Might want to use the Search tab and type in keywords to find it for the part numbers. I believe it is for baggers in the 80's up to around '03 or so...

I recently had to change out my starter (99 roadking) and to get it from harley it was big bucks so here is a little tip I was turned on to by my mechanic friend. Go purchase a starter for a 86 toyota celica single overhead cam (22r motor) and swap out the nose cone and you now have a heavyduty starter for your harley at about half the cost.
Does it have to be the 86 celica , can it be any 22r engine , they ran that engine in a variety of Toyotas?
And sounds like a good tip!!!!!!

I would assume any 22r motor but not sure, what I was told to buy is what is in the first post and it worked fine.

I would assume any 22r motor but not sure, what I was told to buy is what is in the first post and it worked fine.

Good call Fearless, that Toyota 22R starter does use that Nissin starter clutch drive, Glider referenced and I think it was $24 or so. A good deal either way...as the late model starter drive from HD is 'round $100...who would have thought? :small3d018: Wish my Sporty used the same one...

Back