twincam 88 starter

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Fearless1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

I recently had to change out my starter (99 roadking) and to get it from harley it was big bucks so here is a little tip I was turned on to by my mechanic friend. Go purchase a starter for a 86 toyota celica single overhead cam (22r motor) and swap out the nose cone and you now have a heavyduty starter for your harley at about half the cost.

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

What years will that cover?

3. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

Not sure but it fit my 99 roadking just fine.

4. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

Check the parts numbers

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I think what your referring to is the Nissen starter drive/clutch compatible with Japanese imports and domestic GM products that Glider posted awhile back. Might want to use the Search tab and type in keywords to find it for the part numbers. I believe it is for baggers in the 80's up to around '03 or so...

6. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

Nothing to do with a nissan at all! read the first post that is exactly what I meant.

7. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

Does it have to be the 86 celica , can it be any 22r engine , they ran that engine in a variety of Toyotas?
    And sounds like a good tip!!!!!!

8. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

I would assume any 22r motor but not sure, what I was told to buy is what is in the first post and it worked fine.

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Good call Fearless, that Toyota 22R starter does use that Nissin starter clutch drive, Glider referenced and I think it was $24 or so. A good deal either way...as the late model starter drive from HD is 'round $100...who would have thought? :small3d018: Wish my Sporty used the same one...