free website stats program Twin Cam 96 compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin Cam 96 compensator

Joe2007ultra

Hi all. Yes I am going to open this can of worms again. I don't understand why I have to listen to this primary chain slapping around on a brand new bike that cost as much as I paid for it.
My question is has anyone out there talked any Dealer service manager to warrantee changing the OEM compensator? My 2010 has 2700 miles on it and the primary sounds like it has marbles in it. Sometimes it is quiet but every once in awhile that chain starts slapping it drives me nuts. I have tried the breaking trick and it helps but does not get rid of it.

Curious to hear from you guys with the same problem. I know the SE compensator fixes the problem but (EDIT) we shouldn't have to be doing this mod.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

at local dealer i asked they haved changed 1 & the bike owner bought part h/d picked up labor. th e others i talked to they said no luck i just installed mine, this dealer sides w/ h/d not user friendly. just dont help much.

Thanks Have tried it and it works but not for long, Still comes back after a bit .

Ultrat
Did you do the SE campensator? Did it help ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited on order and put together a list of parts I want the dealer to install. One of them is the compensator based on what I have read on this forum. The mechanic/salesman I deal with told me he has never had to replace one under warranty or hasn't even heard of problems with them. I told him since I was spending $25000 on a new bike, I thought the $250 price for the SE compensator isn't a huge expense. I totally agree that when spending that much on a new bike, you shouldn't have to spend extra money to replace inferior parts. If done at purchse time, my dealer knocks off 10% and installs the parts for free, so I figured better safe than sorry.

SGT

I hear you. I wish I would have known about the problem when I bought mine. The dealers will never admit there is a problem. But when you hear that chain slapping around the first time it does get your attention it is very loud. I was on a 10 day trip with some friends and it made for a very uncomfortable trip untill I was able to get home and find out what the noise was.

Sgt.;
Great thinking! My dealer does the same. I will do the same next time I buy.

Does anyone know if the Ultra Limited w/103 engine has the heavy duty compensator?

Just a question, is this why motor almost stalls when starting hot? My RK will turn over really slow almost stop but has always started (so far) after a good work out in the heat and it's off say 5 - 10 minutes then re-started.
WAP.gif

My limited did not have the SE compensator from the factory, even though the dealer claimed it did. I installed the SE at about 3000 miles and it fixed all the irritations. Very worthwhile investment.

Back