free website stats program twin cam 88 cams | Harley Davidson Forums

twin cam 88 cams

What is the best cam for stock tc 88 converting to gear drive and looking for more low and mid range torque?

I went to gear drive on my RG and installed Andrews 26G. Great mid range torque, 40 to 44 mpg if I stay below 65mph.

On my Deluxe I needed a little more kick when I passed someone on a two lane road. So after some research I went with the SE 204 cam to get the extra power in passing. Now the bike pulls longer between the gears and that’s a plus when you only have 5 gears. MD

What is the best cam for stock tc 88 converting to gear drive and looking for more low and mid range torque?

Dons suggested cams will bolt in and give you a little more low end torque.. Without doing OTHER needed things to BOOST your bike, the simplest power increase is there.

IF you have Other Modifications on THAT bike Now, WE need to hear about them as it WILL make a difference in what to suggest for cams...

signed....BUBBIE

If you are going gear drive then it would be the Andrews 21G. It has an intake closing of 30* and will give you more compression and torque than the stock cam. The Andrews 26G has an intake closing at 35* which is actually 1* later than stock and you won't notice any difference until the upper rpms.
If this is for your 05 Heritage then I suggest going with the Andrews 48N conversion cam. You have bee hive valve springs on the 05 which will accommodate up to .575" of valve lift. The 48N has an intake closing at 29* as well as a valve lift of .548". That is going to be the best bolt in cam available for your application and will be easier to set up than gear drive.

Dons suggested cams will bolt in and give you a little more low end torque.. Without doing OTHER needed things to BOOST your bike, the simplest power increase is there.

IF you have Other Modifications on THAT bike Now, WE need to hear about them as it WILL make a difference in what to suggest for cams...

signed....BUBBIE

Boy I looked at this one wrong... Thanks to R.Bingham saving MY Hide here..

The 21 is what is needed and the 26 is for Upper end RPM and will NOT give you the low end torque like I said..

MY BAD....

IF you look at the Intake Close *numbers, IT will usually tell you about where to expect the Increases or Decreases to be..

Early intake close=more torque at Low end

BIGGER number close (later) will usually tell you it is a higher RPM cam and Usually Need more than a cam change to make power.

Thanks again R.Bingham....

signed....BUBBIE

I went back and checked my records and the guys are exactly right. I remember researching the cams and calling Andrews, and after hearing what they had to say I ordered and installed the 21G. Sorry for the bad info. Thanks guys for saving the day!!!

Thanks for the help guys, the only mods. that have been done is the stage 1 kit and I have added vance and hines big radius pipes and vance and hines fuel pak, do I still go with the 21 g ????

Thanks for the help guys, the only mods. that have been done is the stage 1 kit and I have added vance and hines big radius pipes and vance and hines fuel pak, do I still go with the 21 g ????

That will have to be YOUR decision.. I have gone with Gear drive back on my 2ooo FXDS and did a lot of other Needed changes like the oil pump (feuling) and used a delkron cam plate along with big bore 95" high compression pistons with head work..

Yes the 21G's would go good.
But like R.Bingham said ,,, IF you go with 48H cams,,,, Close to the SE255 at - 4* (very similar)... I think the KIT conversion to the Hydraulic style with a new Oil Pump and the camplate with the 48h Would be nice.. A good Bang for the Buck...... I'm not sure How the $$ compare.. 429$ for the conversion kit and 250 $ cams.. OR Gears ?? 650 with cams?? Kinda the same.

You'll have to choose..

I tend to go with the Gear drives but then again the Conversion would be nice..
You'll have to check Run-out on the crank Before you decide anyways..(or you should)

signed....BUBBIE

The V&H Fuel Pak is a very limited tuner. When I upgraded to the 21g I was concerned about fuel management so I called V&H to ask them about the Fuel Pak. (Joe Minton of American Rider magazine had recommended them so I thought I would give them a try.) Well when I called them and told them that I wanted to use their product, told them what my set up would be, 03 Fatboy, 88in stage 1 with basically their q-series double shots(SE 16 gauge double barrel) and the Andrews 21g cam. They told me,"we don't have a map for that combo". The bad thing about that tuner is no one but V&H knows what the buttons do so you can't take it and have it dyno tuned. Even a TFI is better because at least you can adjust it yourself.

I ended up putting the cams in without a tuner, just using the Stage 1 download. it runs ok but I'm sure that if I had a good tuner like the Mastertune TTS it would run even better. You might be ok with the fuel pak and your current stage 1 settings. Many are running the 21's with stage 1 download only.

Also there is a lot of set up involved using gear drive cams. You have to check the run out on your crank and it has to be at .003" or less. Also the camplate itself has to be checked after you put the gears in it because of manufacturing tolerances and sometimes you have to use undersized inner gears as well as undersized outer gears.

It is much easier to use the conversion cams instead. They come with the upgraded oil pump too. You don't have to worry about crank run out or camplate tolerances either.

Here is a good deal if you want to go that way.

GMR Performance | Monthly Specials

$979.95 COMPLETE CONVERSION KIT

Complete Andrews N conversion kit with everything you need to upgrade your early style chain drive cams. We have put this kit together with a few extra items. Torrington inner cam bearings, LMR bypass oil spring installed in cam plate. Andrews EZ install pushrods, new push rod covers to allow ease of pushrod adjustment, loctitie, and torco assembly lube. One stop shopping with every item needed to complete your install at home.

You could also buy it from Herko as many members of this forum have.

HTH,
Randall

Back