free website stats program Turn signals won't stay on when riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signals won't stay on when riding

SWITCHBACK

I am having problems with my turn signals staying on when pulling up to an intersection. Doesn't matter whether it is the right or left signal. They seem to turn off automatically after a few seconds and is not predictable. At home in the garage the will stay on till I turn them off. My first guess is some sort of intermittent maybe a contact within a connector or possibly a broken wire. I ordered a factory service manual to trace down the wiring, but I just wanted to post here to see if anyone had the same problem which could narrow my search time.

I am also having a problem with my rear break light not working, but the front break enables the break light. I have been reading a bit and it sounds like problem may be the hydraulic switch for the rear break. I was wondering if I could change this switch myself. I am reading that the line has to be bleed which makes sense, but needs to be done by a technician. Isn't this just like bleeding a car break line? You pump the line and bleed??

I realize that these simple questions have probably already been addressed somewhere else in the forum.. So thanks in advance!

As far as the turn signals.......sounds like your module is going out. I think the part number is 68540-96. The rear brake switch can be changed very easily. No need to pay dealer or shop to do it. The service manual will explain how to change both items. Spending money on a manual will pay for itself with the first repair that you do instead of taking it to someone.

What are you riding? A newer ABS equipped bike requires the dealer to hook the bike up to the digital technician (computer) to bleed the brakes. Chances are, the rear brake light switch is bad. They're not expensive and are pretty easy to change and if you have a non-abs bike, you can bleed it yourself.

The turn signals are controlled by the turn signal module this take information from the bike as to how far it has gone since you switched the turn signal on and will switch it off after a set distance

First thing to do on the rear brake light switch is to find the switch and pull the wires off with the ignition switched on touch the 2 wires together the brake light should come on if it does then replace the switch if it does not then there may be a wiring issue

If you do replace the switch then you will need to bleed the rear brake very similar to doing a car apply pressure to the brake leaver open the bleeder brake pedal should go down a wee bit close the bleeder and then release the pressure on the brake leaver continue this action till sufficient brake fluid has passed through the system and no bubbles are being expelled in the fluid coming out of the bleeder

Brian

On a 96, didn't they put the turn signal module under the speedo between the tanks? If I remember....you can pull the right tank and rest it on air cleaner, don't forget a good rag, and see it buried under the speedo.

Thx 90! I just checked prices on the part number you gave me ... the part is not as cheap as I would have hoped :p.

there are a few used modules on ebay, but I was wondering where many of you pick up new parts online. Best prices, fastest shipping etc ...

Back