free website stats program Turn Signals 2008 Wide Glide Not working | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signals 2008 Wide Glide Not working

dwurm

Good day all,

Having problems with turn signals. Here is what happens.
When motor is off and key is turned to on or ACC, right turn signal works but pressing left turn signal turns on emergency flashers. With motor running, when either left or right turn signal is pressed, all four signals will flash once, the red security key on speedometer will turn on and remain on till bike is turned off. Now my signals will not work at all, pressing either left or right while motor is off will flash all four signals until turned off. With motor on pressing either left or right will cause on flash on all four signals with the lighting of the red security key. Tried to read error codes according to information here, Here is what happened, all four signals started flashing, and could not get them to turn off, even with ignition switch in off position. Then smoke started coming out from underneath my seat. Paniced at first then finally pulled main fuse. Reinserted main fuse back in and besides my garage smelling I am back to original problem. Am an engineer and recognized the smell as insulation burning.

Please advise and thanks for your support

Last edited:
You did not say if the bike is bone stock or if wiring changes have been made for additions to the bike. That is important to know.

Check under the rear fender for the tire possibly hitting a wiring harness for the brake lights etc.

Since you said there was smoke and you smelled burned insulation, remove the seat and locate the wire that has the burned insulation. Then find that same wire on the schematic diagram for the bike. First look and see if that wire "sinks" (grounds) or "sources" (supplies current) to the circuit it is used in. That is step ONE because that will tell you what went wrong to start with.

You could get lucky shot-gunning it, but I would first determine if the burned wire sourced or sinked current in order to get a true understanding of what went wrong and why...

Definitely need to know the pre-state to your electrical problem(s)...as Hoople questioned - did you recently work on bike/wiring? Trace to the melted/burning wire to start & if you don't already have bike's service manual - good time to invest. Great wiring diagrams in the appendix...keep us updated.

Thanks for the info, The only thing that has been changed is I put LED signal kit on rear flashers. After installation everything worked fine for over 15,000 miles. Then the problem started occurring. I will remove the seat today and check for burnt wiring. I will post later the info I found out.

Thanks for your support.....

I have schematics for a 2009 FXDWG which have got to be Very close to what you have. When you locate the burned wire, get some info about it (main color & stripe color, where it comes from and goes to, number of pins/wires in connectors used for that wire etc etc).

I'm sure we can come up with a place to start.

Thanks to all,

went out, bought the book, took the seat off found 3rd party module that made the lights flash when the brakes were applied and it was bad. Removed and plugged back in. All is fine. Turned into a $50.00 fix minus the manual.

Definately cheaper than a dealer and learned a couple of things in the process.

Thanks for your support......

Back